Buying brand new hardware a good idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanzec, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ryanzec macrumors member

How often are there big problems with new hardware being released (specifically with MBP). I want to get one when they come out however should I wait a few months until the hardware bugs are fixed?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's rarely a concern with Apple products, and if you do have problems, Apple's warranty and support is great and should sort out any defects that your computer may have shipped with.

If you're referring to the forthcoming line of MacBooks Pro, the upgrades will probably just be speed increases, so that's unlikely to cause any issues.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

When they are really upgrading to new CPUS (i5 , i7) they will need a new logic board, new chipset..... could actually really cause issues :cool:

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Historically there haven't been huge issues with new CPUs, just major design changes.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My last 2 major Mac purchases were a g4/1.25 MDD (still using it, typing on it right now!), and a "white" Intel iMac 24".

Both were bought at the end of their respective product cycles, just after the replacements were introduced.

If you don't mind buying "just one generation back", it's a good way to get the products at their best value (prices will be lowest at closeout), AND, you can buy with the confidence that most (if not all) of the bugs have been "worked out" by the end of the production run.

My _next_ purchase is going to be a laptop - actually my first Mac laptop, ever (and I've been a Mac user exclusively for 23 years). I've decided to "go refurb" this time. Trying to decide between a MacBook Pro 2.53ghz or a MacBook Air 1.86 with the SDD. I'm holding out till the new models are introduced, waiting for the "last of the refurb" prices to drop even a bit more!