Buying cMBP now or waiting for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggould.magnolia, Jul 12, 2013.

  1. ggould.magnolia macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    #1
    I need a new MacBook, but am unsure whether to buy the cMBP 13" now or wait in case Apple releases a new version.
    What I like about the cMBP is that it has the storage I need and the RAM and Processor speed I want. Additionally, I require all the ports (firewire) and dvd player, and wouldn't have to purchase extra adapters, as I would if I got the rMBP or MBA. It would be nice to have a lighter machine, but on balance, I work mainly at home and only need it to be portable, not light. All of this I can get cheaper than the current rMBP and MBA.
    BUT, will any new additions made to a new non-retina display MacBook released in Autumn/the fall, mean that I should wait for it's release? Or, is it likely that any new MBP will have gotten rid of FireWire and an internal DVD player and be more expensive?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    That's a good question, some people think that the current iteration of the cMBP is the last one and Apple will not upgrade it to Haswell. We can't be sure, but if Apple does do this, they'll have excess inventory to get rid off, so the price of the existing cMBPs will be reduced.

    People are expecting the Haswell based MBPs to appear around September or October in time of the Christmas holiday season, so if that does pan out then we'll see in the fall what Apple has up its sleeve.

    I think if you need one now or very soon, then get the cMBP. If you suddenly struck with buyers remorse come the fall, sell it and buy a new machine but all in all I think the cMBP is a great machine as it stands now.
     
  3. ggould.magnolia thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    #3
    Thank you, I think that's probably the best idea, given how no one knows for sure what will happen.
     
  4. jg321 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    If you can wait it seems like you can't lose. If they do get updated, you get new hardware for similar price. If they don't, you may be able to grab a bargain on older stock.
     

Share This Page