buying comp tomorrow...any final advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by psupride85, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. psupride85 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    #1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hey all, I realize this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but was wondering if you guys would offer any last ditch advice before I buy tomorrow. Basically its between the blackbook and low end macbook pro.

    I will use the computer for word, powerpoint, email, internet, itunes, iphoto, possibly imovie (now and then).

    My concern with the macbook is longevity as I'd like the computer to last through med school (4 years) and the screen (it is not nearly as bright as the mbp) and large.

    In terms of the mbp, i've read a lot about screen issues and A LOT of problems with the nvidia chipset in the mbp.

    This laptop will be my sole computer for 4 years, will the mbp last if the chips are faulty and would the mb last for 4 years even without the dedicated chip?

    Thanks for all your help and I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow!
     
  2. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #3
    I just ordered a stock blackbook, just waiting for it to come now...

    i was having the same doubts as you, but i ended up with a macbook because I really couldn't justify spending $500 extra for a larger screen and a graphics card. for everything you are doing, the macbook will work fine.

    in four years it probably won't be running the current software or OS as fast as the current macbooks, but it should still be fine. AFAIK there won't be any huge changes (ie. OS 9 to OS X, PowerPC to Intel) in the next few years, so you should be fine. the lack of dedicated graphics card could hurt if apple adds in a bunch of fancy effects to the next OS or one after that, and possibly with the current iMovie...

    in the end though, it seems like the difference between the two is fairly small, and you should be able to manage fine with the macbook.

    plus, i think the blackbook is just much better looking.
     
  3. Jak3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #4
    Well, some people would consider Nehalem chips a "big" thing, but for what he is describing, not big enough to warrant waiting for them...it would be a waste.

    So, go ahead, once you've decided between the two, just go for it!
     
  4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

    Shackler

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2007
    Location:
    behind you!
  5. kenichiwat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #6
    i'd wait... [i'm waiting til september at the latest. that's when the ipod deal for college students end.]

    i'm hearing rumors that apple is updating the design for the mb and mbp. if they dont by the time the ipod deal ends, i'd get the macbook. i'd be really mad tho if after the deal ends and apple decides to announce the new revamp design... :(
     
  6. tkiss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #7
    Ditto.
    If you can, wait. Just let this iPhone 3G buzz die down a little and then anytime they should announce it.
     
  7. NintendoChick macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #8
    I would go with the MacBook, and get applecare, so for at least 3 years, it will be covered. I plan on getting a MacBook for the same uses as you, But I'm waiting for the update:p

    For me, I can't justify getting a mbp. Classic Need vs. Want scenario...
     
  8. CBA macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    #9
    The MB will handle all those task fine even the occassional iMovie. It will also be more portable and you can still add a screen if you want that for your desk.
    But if rumors are right perhaps wait a few weeks for an update to the model.
     

Share This Page