Buying CTO Macs at Authorized Retailers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by purelithium, Aug 28, 2009.

1. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Just as the subject reads, is it possible to order custom machines from Apple Authorized Retailers? I want to buy a 15" MacBook Pro with the 3.06ghz processor, but have no clue what Model/Part number to give my local retailer. Is this even possible?

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Just call them and tell them what you want. I work for a reseller and we know all the part numbers here, just tell us what you want us to order and we order it. Takes as long for us to get it as it does for Apple to get one to you, though--it's really not any faster.

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

Yep. I asked at a local reseller the other day if it was possible for them to swap the silly little iMac keyboard for the full-size numeric pad one. They said they could order one, but it would take up to six weeks. :rolleyes: It would be more sensible for simple changes like that if the shop itself could just swap the keyboard to one off their shelves (assuming they have any - another standard-know-nothing-chain-store reseller told me Apple no longer even make the full-size keyboard!).

4. purelithium thread starter macrumors 6502

purelithium

It's not that I want it any faster, I just have a zero percent financing option there... perks of being in the military :)

I'll go in and try, I just don't have any faith in the salespeople to actually know how to order this. They just became an authorized retailer and usually only have one iMac and one White Macbook in there at a time, but say they can order anything "as long as I give them a model number" so I'm not sure what to give them. I'll go in and see what they can do though.

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

We do this here, though I suppose some authorized resellers wouldn't want to... it's not a problem, especially since a good number of customers are uninformed enough to want to swap a BT keyboard for the much cheaper wired model.

6. Buzz Bumble Guest

That reseller I asked who said it could take six weeks is actually New Zealand's version of the Apple Stores. They have a couple of stores across the country and are owned by the official local Apple distributor (Rennaisance Ltd, aka "Apple NZ") ... if anyone could simply swap the keyboards over, you would think they could.

I didn't mean the BT keyboard. I just want to swap the silly small wired keyboard Apple now ships in the box (which looks ridiculous perched in front of a 24" iMac or 30" Mac Pro display) to a proper wired numeric keypad keyboard.