Buying current MacBook Pro after new version is released...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pndmnd, May 16, 2012.

1. pndmnd macrumors newbie

First off, I tried to search through some other posts and couldn't find anything related to this, however if there is another thread I should be looking in, please let me know!

I am currently a PC whose laptop is dying :( I had decided to make the switch to a Mac and was ready to go to the store and make my purchase this week (13" MacBook Pro). Friends have been encouraging me to wait for the new version, however I'm really not ready to give up the optical drive so I definitely want the current version. However, someone pointed out to me that once the new version is announced they might lower the cost on the current model. My questions are these:

1.) If the new version is unveiled on June 11, how long will it be before it becomes available for purchase?

2.) For how long after the new version becomes available to purchase will the current version still be available? Do they tend to run out of the old model quickly?

3.) Does Apple tend to drop the price of the old version? In my experience they have not done this with iPods, but I don't know about with computers.

4.) If they do drop the price, how long does it usually take once the new version has been announced before they drop the price of the old version (i.e., if the unveiling is June 11, will the price drop on the 12th, or will it be later in the summer)?

5.) If the price on the old model were to be lowered, would my student discount still apply on top of the lowered price?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

2. 184550 Guest

Depends, could be same day, could be a week or so. IIRC, usually the new models are available fairly quickly.

In the past, the older models usually change over the Refurb section of Apples online store. How quickly they run out will depend on their stock levels. Since Apple obviously knows when it will introduce new models, stock shouldn't be that high.

In the past it has averaged around 15%, give or take.

Usually the price is not officially dropped (ie- old stock moved to the Refurb section) until the new models are available for shipping/ purchase in store.

I believe the student discount only applies to the new models, not anything in the refurb section.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You can often find a 3rd party reseller like Best Buy trying to clear out the old models once the new ones are released. You can't use a student discount with Apple on the refurb store, but you may be able to swing something at Best Buy.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I recently bought a MBP 13 ... and THEN discovered a newer model is not far off.

At first, I was dismayed, but then I started thinking about the optical drive. I'm not at the point where DVDs are antiquated. For example, I prefer to buy major programs on DVD so I can re-install at will. Downloading a program is OK, but usually, you only have a certain number of downloads available with a specified time. So, I usually save the install package on my hard drive - using up major space.

No matter when you buy a device, a new-improved version will show up too soon. I think Mac devices are so well made and so stable - plus supported by Apple for years - how can you go wrong?

5. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in the same position, Arelunde. In addition to the fact that I prefer to have programs backed up on disc (just in case something happens), I also usually take a couple of DVDs with me when I travel. I am the type of person who will re-watch movies, so I still buy them on DVD. I realize that now a lot of them come with a digital copy, but none of my old ones do. Plus, I do still buy some music on CD, as local musicians don't always have their music available digitally.