Buying decisions...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Timothy, Mar 21, 2002.

  1. Timothy macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Hi All...

    I thought I'd take the pulse of the community a bit. Are you buying Apple now? Are you waiting? Would you like to buy now but are waiting?

    Here's what I've decided to do:

    Desktop Decisions:
    I have the cash in hand to buy a new desktop system. I've been very close to doing so, but have decided to beef up my current system instead and wait out something better.

    The G4 is showing it's age. Apple has been lagging in speed for too long now. It's been a good 4 years that they've been having problems with Motorola keeping pace. Why else would they be pushing dual-processor boxes now? The fact is, they just aren't keeping up. Why is this important?

    OSX. Face it. It's a great OS...but it is slower than 9.2. I have OSX loaded on my Pismo 400 just to get used to it and to prepare for the transition on my desktop. But, my desktop running 9.2 is much more responsive; not even comparable. Apple needs much quicker boxes to efficiently run OSX.

    Here's my new speed gauge: iPhoto. That program is SLOW! Here's a test. Grab the bottom right corner of the iPhoto window and resize it in a quick fashion, circular motion. It can't keep up with you. I've tried this on a dual 1ghz machine, and it doesn't do much better than it does on my Pismo 400.

    The point being...if I'm going to invest $3k in a new system that I probably won't upgrade for another 3 years, now is not the time to buy. So, I hunker down and wait.

    The iPod release really stung me last night. I was ready to buy the new iPod. I thought it was a foregone conclusion. I had my CC ready next to my computer; I was going to brag that I bought the first one once the Apple store came back online. But, I choked. It was just too much. And I was one who stridently supported the original price-point.

    I make part of my living in the music world. I've converted my entire CD library to MP3. The original iPod with 5 gigs was too small for my needs. But, if Apple has lost me on this sale, who has to be their target market, then I suspect that they're not selling a ton of these new iPods today. Has anyone here placed an order for one?

    I continue to wait. It is a huge hole in their whole "digital lifestyle" framework. They ignore this market to their overall detriment in the computing market.

    So, what about the rest of you? Are you buying, waiting, or moving on?
  2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

    Aug 14, 2001
    I'm betting that if you can wait 'till MacWorld NYC, you'll have your faster G4 (perhaps the fabled G5) and a reduced price iPod line (-$50 let's say).
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001

    I have a TiPB and a 450 G4 desktop. The Ti will do me for a while and I won't buy another desktop until the g5s come out. Then I'll get a dual processor, maybe even dual monitor. I can't justify spending so much on a machine that's only a little better. I hope with the G5 we'll see faster RAM and bus speed. I don't we'll see it until MWSF 03, though.
  4. dualburn001 macrumors regular

    Feb 21, 2002
    Re: Buying decisions...

    as you can see apple put PDA functions such as contacts in the ipod with the new update so don't expect a PDA because that is what the iPOD is transforming into.
  5. Timothy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    not a PDA...

    The ability to carry contacts in the iPod is a nice feature...but, this in no way makes it a PDA. While it is my hope that the iPod does move more in this direction, it has a long way to go.

    Unless the form-factor and functionality of the iPod make a radical transformation, it is a bit premature to refer to it as a PDA.

Share This Page