Buying dilema... (MB now or wait for MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xil3, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Xil3 macrumors regular

My main issue right now is that my current PC's fan is dying and it makes crazy noise, so I'd like to get a new one ASAP.

The big question is whether I should wait a month and get the MBP or get the MB now before my current laptop gets worse...?

For some more information to help with your answer... I am a web developer (PHP) and I use my laptop day to day at work and at home, so I need something that'll do the job well (I do use Photoshop as well).

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you can wait, given your needs, I think you will prefer the MBP, though the MB will work well.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Good as the MacBook is, for pro use, the MBPro is worth having. Better screen, video card etc.

If you need it in a hurry, however, why don't you look at an Apple refurb? They look and work like new, and can be a big saving over normal cost.

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

Ask yourself, could your current laptop last a month and allow you to carry on working, if not, then it may be worth getting a MacBook fairly quickly.

If you can last the month, wait and get a MacBook Pro, the dedicated graphics card may help for the software you want to run.

5. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Why MB now or MBP in a month? Funds? If so, wait until you have the funds for the MBP. You've lived with the fan noise this long, what's another month? And for what you'll be doing...sure you could probably get by with a MB but you'll have regret...regret you didn't have patience...regret you didn't wait until you had the money for the MBP.

6. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Me, I would wait for SR MBs

which according to the rumor mill(and to a lesser extent the buyers guide) should be around the corner. The SR MB will allow you to go up to 4 gb ram and have a MUCH better integrated graphics chip.....still won't perform like an MBP, but for php and a bit of photoshop shouldn't make a huge difference.

7. seany916 macrumors 6502

We replace our computers BEFORE they start on their last legs. Overlap is good.

If you care to wait, you might score a better deal on a better computer, but if it means anything, MBPs are a bit more reliable than MBs. Just from the people we know and are around. (I will not elaborate)