Buying dilema... (MB now or wait for MBP)

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
My main issue right now is that my current PC's fan is dying and it makes crazy noise, so I'd like to get a new one ASAP.

The big question is whether I should wait a month and get the MBP or get the MB now before my current laptop gets worse...?

For some more information to help with your answer... I am a web developer (PHP) and I use my laptop day to day at work and at home, so I need something that'll do the job well (I do use Photoshop as well).

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
If you can wait, given your needs, I think you will prefer the MBP, though the MB will work well.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Good as the MacBook is, for pro use, the MBPro is worth having. Better screen, video card etc.

If you need it in a hurry, however, why don't you look at an Apple refurb? They look and work like new, and can be a big saving over normal cost.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
For some more information to help with your answer... I am a web developer (PHP) and I use my laptop day to day at work and at home, so I need something that'll do the job well (I do use Photoshop as well).
Ask yourself, could your current laptop last a month and allow you to carry on working, if not, then it may be worth getting a MacBook fairly quickly.

If you can last the month, wait and get a MacBook Pro, the dedicated graphics card may help for the software you want to run.

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
My main issue right now is that my current PC's fan is dying and it makes crazy noise, so I'd like to get a new one ASAP.

The big question is whether I should wait a month and get the MBP or get the MB now before my current laptop gets worse...?

Why MB now or MBP in a month? Funds? If so, wait until you have the funds for the MBP. You've lived with the fan noise this long, what's another month? And for what you'll be doing...sure you could probably get by with a MB but you'll have regret...regret you didn't have patience...regret you didn't wait until you had the money for the MBP.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Me, I would wait for SR MBs

which according to the rumor mill(and to a lesser extent the buyers guide) should be around the corner. The SR MB will allow you to go up to 4 gb ram and have a MUCH better integrated graphics chip.....still won't perform like an MBP, but for php and a bit of photoshop shouldn't make a huge difference.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
We replace our computers BEFORE they start on their last legs. Overlap is good.

If you care to wait, you might score a better deal on a better computer, but if it means anything, MBPs are a bit more reliable than MBs. Just from the people we know and are around. (I will not elaborate)