Buying dilemmas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arachn1d, Mar 19, 2007.

  1. arachn1d macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2006
    Right now I have an iMac core duo, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac Book Pro c2d and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display 24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be great.

    p.s this is for web-development, I really don't care about gaming at this point.
  2. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Jun 20, 2005
    if you're on the move and visiting clients, it makes perfect sense.
    but hold on a few weeks to see if anything new is released.
  3. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    Well, if all you want to do is web development, I don't really see why you need a new machine (unless you are itching for portability)... but either way I would recomend a MacBook with a screen, because the screen is cerrainly large enough to work on on-the-go. but when you want to hook it up to a large screen that option is always available to you.
  4. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2006
    Yeah, the reason why I want to switch to the mobile platform is so everything is more versatile. If I need to go see a client, then I can easily do so with a laptop. It would be handy in my opinion.

    I just went to the apple store today and saw the difference between 24" vs 30" and macbook vs macbook pro, honestly it didn't help - I'm confused as ever.

  5. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Just a question of dollars buddy... MBP + 30" Apple display is the sign that your kung fu is the best. But if I bought that I'd have to bury the receipt in the back yard because if my wife ever found it, I'd be shaved, sterilized, and destroyed.
  6. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2006
    Alright I've made my mind up on getting a mac book pro - just waiting until I can snatch one from the refurb store.
  7. luminosity macrumors 65816


    Jan 10, 2006
    Assuming your system is okay right now, I'd wait until the first couple weeks of April to see if anything's announced and then go from there.
  8. NightFlight macrumors 6502


    Feb 25, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    lol that is some funny stuff my friend :)
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Usually the dog who buries stuff in a hole the backyard is spanked, the dog who humps the neighbors poodle is the one sterilized.
  10. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    go for the macbook pro. most people (i.e., your clients) will think it looks more professional (hence the "pro").

    also, don't neglect screen space when you're traveling. you'll appreciate the 15" or 17" screen size compared to 13".
  11. Scorpius macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2007
    I agree with pianoman. Don't skimp on screen space if you can handle the additional size. I really love the 17", but that's just a bit too big to carry around and open up on planes regularly...but the 15" really isn't bad to carry around at all.
  12. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    right-o scorpius. the 15" is a perfect hybrid of mobility and performance (for my needs, at least).
  13. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2006
    Thanks pianoman - that helped push me even more.

    Regards to the comment about waiting for the next gen - According to what I've read that doesn't really seem to be worth the wait. It's basically a minor upgrade in processor speed (which the c2d is superior processing speed already, so I would not notice anything) and leopard (which I could buy no problem in the future). SO it seems like there is no point in waiting eh?
  14. Scorpius macrumors newbie

    Mar 5, 2007
    In your case, probably not.

    It's not a huge deal for me to wait, even for minimal upgrades, since my current laptop is perfectly functional and a new one is not a pressing need. It's just getting a little older, but aside from the anticipation, it's not really going to hurt me if I buy in May, June or July.

    Since you're already looking to get a replacement now, the better option might be to take the plunge rather than delay.

Share This Page