Buying DVD's for iPod touch - Widescreen or not?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AFKMatrix, Oct 2, 2007.

1. AFKMatrix macrumors member

Hi,

I am wanting to get for starters the Bourne Suprmecy on DVD and will probably want to put it on my Touch. On amazon i have the choice of widescreen, hd DVD or full screen edition. Does it matter which one I get?

2. ShanePod macrumors member

definitely go for widescreen 110% heres an example of what is being cut off if you get full screen http://www.widescreen.org/examples/starwars/index.shtml

3. awmazz macrumors 65816

Widescreen. You can always switch from widescreen to full screen and back again whenever you want while you're watching it by double-tapping.

You can't do that if you only buy the full screen version.

4. richardhunt macrumors regular

Actually that is not entirely correct. The Ipod touch does not do anamorphic widescreen, it just "zooms" the picture cropping top and bottom (as opposed to stretching the image sideways). So if you buy an anamorphic widescreen (those that say enhanced for 16x9 screens) you image will appear tall and skinny. The Ipod touch's nativie resolution has an aspect ratio of 1.5 to 1 whereas widescreen (35MM) has 1.77 to 1, so it's not really widescreen friendly. You will find that the Pan and Scan versions (full screen) will look better. The only way to get the correct aspect ratio is to convert the "letterbox" version where you get the black bars on top and bottom, but this will make the viewable portion of the film that much smaller, and since you are already at a small screen it will seem even smaller.

5. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

This is a good question. I was absolutely set on thinking that Widescreen would be better for the iPod touch...But now that I actually have one, I think full screen movies look better on it. They come closer to filling up the whole screen, and when you double tap it to make it fit the screen, it BARELY zooms in to fit. Double tapping a widescreen movie zooms WAY in and doesn't look good at all when forced to fit the whole screen...

I think full screen movies look better on the iPod touch. They have to zoom in a LOT less to fill the screen.

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Get widescreen. Fullscreen, aka "pan & scan," has the sides of the movie cropped out by the studios in order to fit into a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Widescreen, on the other hand, is true to the source material and can range anywhere from 1.77:1 (16:9) to 2.35:1. With the Touch resolution at 1.5:1, you'll see only very slim black bars, usu. on the left & right, when you convert a DVD to it. And, it's the whole picture - not something arbitrarily trimmed to look different before you even get it!

Besides, won't you watch the DVDs on a TV at some point? You'd want widescreen then anyway.

7. awmazz macrumors 65816

Okay, I didn't know that, thanks. So the DVDs to avoid are the ones that say 'enhanced for 16x9'?

I just Handbraked the movie Serenity off the official DVD which has 'widescreen' written on the cover, and it works fine. So I assume then that 'widescreen' is okay, but 'enhanced widescreen' is not?

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Widescreen. Buy? Cough cough cough if you want to, but I'd recommend renting them instead :p Better? hehe