Buying Ex-Demos?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nojja, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Nojja macrumors member

Buying demonstration ex? Lets say that its basically mint. No kids who has spilled soda or any idiots who have scratched it etc. But its been on for like 10 hours everyday or even more?

At my local Media Markt they have a Blackbook 2.4 Ghz for the same price as an Alu 2.0 Ghz. It has absolutely no fingerprints and nobody buys Macs at Media Markt, but its been on for like i said at-least 10 hours a day for like 1 year. How does that affect the machine?

2. dmiller macrumors member

thats not a very good price...you can't just look at processor speeds especially when comparing current and last generation system. the alum macbooks have far better graphics as well as different ram configurations, etc.

if you are set on buying demo systems then it probably wouldn't be that bad of a purchase if the discounts are significant enough

3. Nojja thread starter macrumors member

That is true. But what people see when they buy your used computer is the processor, its what counts, not if you have 4 or 2 GB ram. If i need graphics for my comp, the Alu sure is a better choice, but then the MBP or an iMac is much better. 2.0 Ghz has been with the Macbook since first day. I just think its a bad choice buying a comp. with 2.0 Ghz 2009 regardless if it has better RAM or Graphics. Sorry if i start discussing something off topic.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If resale is important to you, then you'd be a fool to buy a Blackbook for the same price as a unibody MacBook. Because it's plastic alone it will be worth substantially less used, even if it is 2.4GHz vs. 2.0.

And don't get hung up on clock speed. The original Blackbook was 2.0GHz as well, but the new unibody MacBook 2.0 is far faster. Processor technology is about more than clock speed. In this case, I think the 2.4 might actually be a bit faster than the 2.0, but as was pointed out, the unibody has other features that make it an all around better machine. I wouldn't go near the BlackBook for the same price as the unibody. Not unless I was using the machine to make a living, and that living involved doing some CPU-intensive rendering where the seconds saved by going 2.4 vs. 2.0 meant more money in my pocket. But if that was the case, I doubt I'd be looking at the MacBook to begin with...

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Alu has better graphics and faster ram. If you buy a new system you'll get full warranty as well.

6. Nojja thread starter macrumors member

That convinced me :(

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He is right, that price is ****.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd go on craigslist and find one that's been used less for less money. Preferably one that qualifies for extended applecare.

Wow, less IS more!