buying external hard drive,thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kat King123, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

well im about a buy an 500gb iomega external hard drive from amazon has anybody had any experiences with it were they good or bad most of the reviews on amazon seem to be good:)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't waste your money on USB 2.0 ****. Try to find 7200rpm HD with FW800. USB 2.0 is so slooooooow....

3. Kat King123 thread starter macrumors regular

Kat King123

yea i know that usb is slow but all firewire drives r out of my budget (75 bucks) and this is best i could find for the storage plus my macbook doesn't have fw800 so any other thoughts?

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

USB2 isn't that bad, 25-30MB/s is enough for many uses, especially considering the (way) lower price.

I use USB2 for mass storage, and FW800 for video editing and other projects. For most uses, FW800 simply isn't worth the extra money.

5. KeeeeenW macrumors member

KeeeeenW

Just telling you that the hard drive may need power adopter, not USB powered. I considered it before,but I did not buy it because it is NOT USB powered.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, that changes you needs :cool:

Yea, USB powered are so much better.

7. Kat King123 thread starter macrumors regular

Kat King123

i dont mind not being usb powered but seems like a good external right?

8. KeeeeenW macrumors member

KeeeeenW

Yes, it seems good for me, and actually, I would encourage you also check out Bestbuy.com ,sometimes they have good deal!

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like my Iomega for solely back up. My biggest concern would not be USB, rather the limited (extremely limited) cache. But if you are using it for solely back-up, then to each their own. Some have complained about quality, but I've had no problems with mine and iThink it's the coolest looking drive. I own a G-Tech for when I do brief video work...

10. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I've been using this black one for about a year. It is so quiet I forget that it's writing and reading constantly. I have all of my DVD rips on it. You may not want this, but my point is that I trust it. I even use it for Time Machine too. It's 5400 and only USB but it's a great little drive. Has a red and blue light. One to show it's connected and one to show if it's writing or reading.