Buying extra RAM: where ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazarusbf, May 11, 2010.

1. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

Hello
    i'm living in Europe but i will place my order on a US site as it's my friend living in Pittsburgh who will get the goods and he flies back home here next month and hand it to me.

I've read about Newegg as the cheapest, is it true ?
    Some other online stores to recommend ?
    And what brand for new 2010 MBP ? Any would do ? Kingston is expensive, as is Corsair but anyway on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= they only have three 2x4GB 1066mhz available.
    Mushkin, Gskill or Kingston ?

Kinston looks like 100$ cheaper (!!) at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...11,1292120011&field-keywords=1066+8GB&x=0&y=0)
    Should i go for this one ?

Thanks for your opinions.

2. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

+1 for OWC. Just upgraded my MBP to 8GB and it screams.

3. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Aww that's 70$ cheaper than Kingston on Amazon.
    Never heard of this brand, i see you recommend it, are they as reliable as Kingston's ?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd say even better, they only make RAM for Macs as far as I know. VERY reliable and high quality, never heard anything bad. Easily the most popular RAM among users in here

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Don't cheap out on RAM with a Mac. It's not worth the headache and potential problems (I learned the hard way). Go with OWC (macsales.com) as others are suggesting. All their RAM is tested for Mac compatibility. Not all RAM brands work well in Macs.

6. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

The RAM that I got from OWC was the same brand as the memory I took out of my MBP. I've bought memory from them for years and years now and never had an issue.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Fun thing about OWC is that they are also the cheapest... 349$ for Mushkin kit from NewEgg, 329$ for OWC kit

8. RafMac macrumors regular

Been using OWC for last 8 years and no problems. Very reliable and high quality RAM. I am in the process of upgrading my new 17" i7 MBP to 8Gb. I also purchased the Sonnet Card Reader/Writer Expresscard/34 for my new MBP from OWC, this card is compatible with Snow Leopard.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/MMRE34RW/

9. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Thanks everyone. I've had enough answers already. You were very quick and helpful, bye bye. :)

10. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Hello
    can anyone tell if my MBP 2010 (original) RAM is compatible with any computer from the Mac/apple brand (or only MBP) ?
    i'm asking as i've been making the upgrade and have now the 2x2GB to sell
    thanks

11. toffa813 macrumors regular

You can sell it back through OWC if you want.
    And when I put new RAM in my old Macbook (white, non-unibody) I used OWC and it worked great. And I took the original RAM and put one of the modules in my 2008 iMac. So yes, it should work on all recent Macs. I can't tell you what models exactly though, I think it just needs to be able to use 1066mhz ram but I'd double check.

And here's another suggestion that's cheaper than the OWC brand RAM but still through their site, and I've read good things about this brand as well: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/8566DDR3S8GP/

12. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Erm..i already have the OWC 8GB extra ram, bought in the USA but here it's Belgium so i want to sell it to someone over here.
    My question was: does the original MBP i7 17" RAM work on other models ?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It works in all late 2008 and newer MBPs and in early 2009 and newer iMacs and MBPs

14. lazarusbf thread starter macrumors member

lazarusbf

Thanks Hellhammer.
    Can you tell if i can check out a compatibility chart/site section anywhere ? :)