buying eyeglasses - lenscrafters is icky

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Greedo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Greedo Guest

i have been looking for a new pair of eyeglasses for a while and finally had an eye doctor appointment and got a new prescription, etc...

i always planned on just buying them cheap online via 39dollarglasses.com or zennioptical.com or something similar. then we drove by a lenscrafters and stopped in and i found a pair of frames i love.

the problem was that by the time i got the frames and the lenses they wanted almost $600. the frames are only $160 of that. $300 i was OK with, $600 was outrageous in my opinion.

when i got up to leave, the next thing you know, the manager comes out and starts to try and cut a deal. "oh, you can get the AAA discount, and we will do this and that...." which ended up dropping the price down to $350.

when i considered the whole used car salesman routine it just felt not right - kind of left a slimy taste in my mouth.

so, i did more shopping around at more retailers and come to find out that the $350 price for those particular frames plus the lenses was actually typical (i have a strong prescription and need hi-index 1.67 lenses which are pricy). This actually got me more wary of lenscrafters as it seems like they try and sucker you into spending a couple of hundred $ extra for no reason, unless you balk, then they try and cut a deal.

anyway, i ended up getting the exact frames i wanted and the hi-index lenses, etc. online from bestbuyeyeglasses.com - should be here in a week or two.

so, i am curious - is this typical lenscrafters behavior? and anyone else get glasses online?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm not sure what this has to do with Apple hardware, but I suggest going to glassyeyes.blogspot.com. It has a forum where you can read about other people's experiences on buying online glasses. Stick with the recommended places for a good experience.
    FYI, I've bought two pairs of glasses online. The total cost for both was $100, including s/h. One frame was pure titanium, while the other was a titanium-steel mix. Both have 1.67 lenses (because of my high prescription) and anti-glare. One was tinted for sunglasses.
    If you don't have allergy issues, you can find glasses for even less than what I paid.

Best of luck.