Buying Final Cut Express 4? Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamTheeGeek, Nov 20, 2010.

1. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Hey Guys,

I recently started making videos on iMovie and im looking to make more videos but i wanna add more effects and control my video in more detail so do you guys recommend Final Cut Express 4 as an upgrade from iMovie '11?

Please tell me your thoughts and why?

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is definitely a worthy upgrade, but know, that FCE 4 hasn't been updated in three year (mayor version wise, little updates have been released) and it does not support 1080p yet.

FCE 5 is "rumoured" (more like expected) to be released in spring/summer 2011.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=757813

3. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

It's alrite if it doesnt output 1080p HD videos but does it do 720p that would be enough for me.

and yea i did notice that it is pretty old but till they release the newer version in the future i guess i will settle and learn how to use it :)

is it hard for first time users ?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, it does 720p. Look at www.apple.com/finalcutexpress to get more information or even the manual at support.apple.com/manuals.

I don't know how easy it is to learn iMovie, as I started with Adobe Premiere 5, got into Avid Media Composer and Avid Xpress (DV) and have dabbled in FCP (two projects thus far), and I seriously find iMovie more complicated than any editing application I ever came upon, even the dreadful ones like Ulead Media Studio, but that may be due to iMovie's simplicity, which seriously puts me off. I can't even master iDVD, but I have no (or only slight) problems with DVD Studio Pro.

5. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Shouldn't be a problem i guess then :)

6. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Just a thought . . . everybody I know who bought FCE wished they bought FCP since they ended up upgrading to FCP, which in a sense meant the money spent on FCE was "wasted". It's a big commitment to get FCP since it retails for $1k, but subsequent updates are $300. What happens is that they couldn't imagine needing or wanting the power of FCP, so IMO FCE ends up not being a just the right size app (a not too "small" not too "big" app), but an app that just doesn't "fit" (too powerful for "consumer" iMovie users, and not enough for "enthusiasists").

7. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Yea i know what ya mean, i did think about it that why. I was thinking about going up the ladder FCE then FCP. Do you think i should jump directly to FCP for a better future deal and more options?

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I have had FCE for about 1,5 years now and like it very much. Coming from iMovie the learning curve was extremely easy. I got most things just by trial and error without reading any tutorials. It does everything I need so personally I feel no need to upgrade to FCP. I'm using it mostly for some interviews me and my girlfriend are making within the small independent art scene of Vienna. What I have used professionally is LiveType though, which you get together with FCE. It's a powerful yet easy to learn/handle tool for making short text/image based clips.

I'd suggest just getting FCE now and see what it does for you. When version 5 comes out you will know if you even need to upgrade to it or make the bigger leap to FCP.

Upgrading directly to FCP from iMovie might overwhelm one with features and make learning more difficult - just a thought.

9. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Check out the features and what you get with FCP v. FCE, then try to predict the future on whether you would need/use those features. FCP has all 5 of the Jam Packs included which is $500 if you bought them separately. That was enough for me to get FCP. I've been amazed the things FCP can do, some maybe FCE could do but according to what I have been told about FCE, I doubt it, especially when I use Color or Soundtrack Pro to fix a few things. :) Motion is cool too, although I've been told Adobe's version of Motion (After Effects?) is better, but not going out to buy that when I feel I have a pretty complete package with FCP.

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

This is good advice! As someone who uses FCS I'd still suggest starting with FCE. Especially since both are due for major upgrades first quarter 2011. FCE upgrade is only $100 compared to $300 for FCS.

cheers
    JohnG

11. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Right now hehe im thinking about final cut pro because i think that final cut express is pretty outdated and other than that you can get more in FCP.

But as an iMovie user, how easy to get the hang of final cut pro ?

12. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Pro and Express. I have used both, and they both are easy to learn. They are essentially the same program except one costs as much as a Mac does. :rolleyes:

13. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Great thread!

I was just about to post almost the exact same question.

Wasn't FCP at one time offered as a stand alone product?
    I want to say like many here I too was in the I'll never need FCP camp so I went with FCE4. And like many, now I'm kicking myself...

Aside Studio, there is no other way to get FCP, right?
    I mean not torrent wise anyway.

Not thread jack from OP...

But does anyone more knowledgeable than me know if FCE4 is compatible with Canon S21 I just bought?

14. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

I guess Final Cut Studio For The Win !

thank you guys so much for your opinions :)

I'm still learning on the net how to use Final Cut Pro before getting it, but its gonna be a great addition when i get Nikon D7000. Can't Wait!