Buying Final Cut Studio 2 from USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Speermint, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Speermint macrumors newbie

I'm an Aussie, and am interested in purchasing Final Cut Studio. Over here, it's AUD$1699, or thereabouts. With the current exchange rate being so good against the USD (about 96c USD to the AUD, compared to about 70-75c two years ago), if I got it from, say, Amazon, paying USD at $1299, I would save about $300 dollars, providing the exchange rate stays up.

But here's the thing.

Are DVD-ROM's region coded? It may seem like a stupid question to ask. But would the programs install on my Macbook Pro over here if I got the package from America? Because I would rather pay the extra $300 than having to deal with dodgy products and having to send them back.

And on a bit of a tangent, I thought Apple kept their prices pretty much the same through the world market (ie prices are the same no matter where you're buying from). $300 seems a bit of a diffrerence, but that could be because the USA have a better install base perhaps. Maybe I answered my own question there.

Thanks for your help guys.

Catch ya later.

Speermint

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You did answer your own question, also you can't just base prices on the exchange rate.

Don't forget to factor in any sales taxes and import duties you would be liable for.