Buying first iMac: Which keyboard & mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by l33r0y, Oct 30, 2007.

1. l33r0y macrumors 6502

I should be placing the order soon for my first Mac :)

I'd like to go full wireless with the keyboard and mouse, but will I run into problems when I need to rebuild the Mac with OS X or when using Bootcamp for the first time?

Or can I get away with wireless keyboard and mouse in all circumstances?

If it is mandatory to use a wired keyboard & mouse during these initial OS install phases, would I be able to get away with using a standard PC USB keyboard & mouse, or will it have to be a Mac wired keyboard & mouse?

Thanks,

L.

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I think wireless will work when installing osx, though, if you are buying one new, it comes with osx pre-installed, you just have to fill out your personal info, which I also believe is possible with a wireless setup. However, I was installing Vista a couple weeks ago on a wireless setup, and it did not work. So I had to walk around the dorm finding someone that didn't have a wireless keyboard in mouse to borrow. It does not need to be mac specific, it just can't be a ps2 connection, unless you have a ps2 to usb converter.

If you do alot of data entry with the num-pad you might consider getting an older wireless keyboard through some online store..I am sure there are still some left out there, the new wireless keyboard falls a little short for data entry. I have actually only used it for about 1/2 a minute, it seemed really nice, but i did make a few mistakes too, probably just needs a little getting used to.:apple:

3. l33r0y thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for that. Good to know a PC USB keyboard can be used in an emergency situation.

Just finished a conversation with Apple from their site, he seems to think I shouldn't have any issues with wireless when re-installing OS X or Windows via Bootcamp (I was surprised about the latter)