All iPads Buying first iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrmagee1000, Nov 9, 2014.

1. mrmagee1000 macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about getting an ipad for a while now and I think it's finally time. But I wanted to get some advice as to which one to get. The two I'm debating between are a refurbished iPad 4th generation and a refurbished iPad Mini 2.

I mostly want the tablet so that I can 1) read high res comics 2) sketch and paint with apps like Procreate 3) play app games 4) and occasionally watch netflix or something.

The mini 2 supposedly has a more powerful processor which would have improved performance, but the iPad 4 has a larger screen which would be nice for reading comics and painting. Refurbished versions of both are fairly cheap as well (my price point is around the 299 mark) So I'm pretty torn...

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do or know of any factors that would sway me one way or the other?

Thanks!

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would say for your uses the big screen would definitely be worth it. The ipad 4 is still quite capable.

How about a used iPad Air?

3. mrmagee1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I could look into an ipad air... it's only $40 more. That wouldn't be terrible

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right - and the reduced weight, size, and performance will be easily worth the $40 bucks. A no brainer, IMO.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I second the Air but I would wait till BF when you'll see some nice deals. Hopefully Apple will offer a nice discount.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I would definitely wait and get the Air. The 4 is long in the tooth as it is. Get a refurb Air...you'll be glad you did (instead of the 4).

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I also agree the first gen iPad Air is the way to go.

8. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

I use iPad a lot for reading magazines and compared to my old iPad 2, the Air is much more convenient to hold in my hands. I think the reduced weight alone makes it worth it, plus it's that bit more future-proof.

9. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Between the 4 and the Mini 2, I'd take the latter. As was mentioned, if you really want the bigger screen, I'd cough up some extra for the Air. But hey, it's your money so you make the call;).

10. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

iPad Air 1 all the way. The iPad mini has a restricted color gamut that would really bother me if I were reading graphic novels, where accurate color would be pretty important.

Staples was selling the 32GB Air 1 for $379 recently. If they still are-GET ONE.

11. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

LOL, it's so like us on this forum. Somebody asked if they should product X or product Y and we tell them to get product Z. It's true though.

X= iPad 4
    Y= iPad Mini 2
    Z= iPad Air