Buying first Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeFightNight, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MikeFightNight macrumors newbie

OK so I am in the market for a Mac Pro because I am going to be getting a very nice pro HDV camera. I live in Canada first of all and have been on the apple.ca website looking at the offers they have. For a brand new Quad Core Mac i'm looking at $3,983.00 (Candian of course). add Final Cut Pro to that and it comes to a grand total of $5,182.00. Here are the specs if your wondering

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (4x2GB)
    640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    One 18x SuperDrive
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide
    Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

OK so now I have been looking at other sites to see how much I could get an older refurbed Mac Pro for. I found this deal on Ebay offfered by Macworks
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290328374804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    and it seems like a pretty good deal, of course I am no expert that is why I am here. Also since it comes with Final Cut Studio 2 can I upgrade it to the new final cut pro for cheaper?

Than you all for your time and if you have somewhere better I should be looking or any ideas then please tell me:)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Be weary of eBay for items of this size. They can come damaged for one, a MP is not something you ship without proper care. If the seller is not providing the install discs for the listed software then that is a red flag.
    It also doesn't have bluetooth. You may or may not care.

To me, the deal with the software is too good to be true frankly.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If you're buying brand new, don't get your HDDs from Apple. I mean yes, you need to get the primary, but buy the rest of the drives online. They will be cheaper and/or you'll be able to buy better quality.

RAM, well, it's only 8 gigs, probably easier to just get that BTO.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's not a terrible price for such a system, but it ranges from slower to a lot slower than the quad core 2.66GHz system you were looking at (depends on application). Installed software without disks is nearly always piracy. It's also a 3 year old system.

I see the Apple canadian refurb section has the 2008 3.2GHz 8 core for CA$3,399 link. They are great machines and you'd get a better overall system for your money. If you take a look at somewhere like www.canadaram.com you can get 8GB of memory for $250 and 750GB drives for under $100 each. Even if you go with a 2009 quad get memory and storage 3rd party if you want to save a few hundred dollars.

5. MikeFightNight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the adivce and links. I'll definatley be getting my RAM and hard drives seperatley.