Buying first mac! Should buy now or later?

CrossFireXT17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
62
0
Hey well I'm new to buying a mac (I've used them at school and what not, but enver really ever wanted to buy one) So I decided I'm just gunna buy an iMac cause its not like I need a Mac Pro or anything, jus somethin basic, plus I think the Imac has a nice design and what not. But should I buy it now? OR wait till leapord? Or Would leapord still work with my comp fine?
 

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
505
0
Hollywood, CA
Leopard will work fine on the current iMac but it isn't coming out til next year. On the other hand, a new revision of the iMac with Core 2 processors is due any time now, probably by mid-September. The current iMac is fine but a faster one should be out in a few weeks.
 

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
1,319
0
If you can wait wait, if you need one now get it. The new ones might be bit faster but anything you can do on the new imacs you can do on the ones that you can buy now (sorry if that makes no sense i am kinda sick)
 

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
1,928
0
I would wait until next year. There are supposed to be faster computers coming out then.
 

CrossFireXT17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
62
0
yea tahts what I was thinking that new ones were coming out. Would they be cheaper though? Cause I'm just lookin for a nice low budget Mac. Cause I dno't want to to have to pay like $500 more then
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
CrossFireXT17 said:
yea tahts what I was thinking that new ones were coming out. Would they be cheaper though? Cause I'm just lookin for a nice low budget Mac. Cause I dno't want to to have to pay like $500 more then
Probably not cheaper. I say buy now or wait till next year
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
You might as well wait for the next rev of the iMac and then buy the new model or the discounted older model. That should happen in the next couple of months but you never know. The new model will probably have a Core 2 Duo in it.

Or you could wait for quad-core, WiMax, Blu-Ray, etc etc etc. If you wait long enough, fusion-powered superconducting computers will enslave humanity and will be trying to decide whether they will buy you next tuesday.
 

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
2,448
1
West Coast
CrossFireXT17 said:
yea tahts what I was thinking that new ones were coming out. Would they be cheaper though? Cause I'm just lookin for a nice low budget Mac. Cause I dno't want to to have to pay like $500 more then
Wait and buy the new ones (which will probably be in line with current pricing) or the current ones which will then be old (and in turn marked down).
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,559
1,484
It's like the candy. Now and later.
One Mac today.
Another next tuesday. Or some tuesday anyway.
 

Hytower77

macrumors regular
CrossFireXT17 said:
yea tahts what I was thinking that new ones were coming out. Would they be cheaper though? Cause I'm just lookin for a nice low budget Mac. Cause I dno't want to to have to pay like $500 more then
The only real "low budget" mac is the mini.

And my two cents on buying now or waiting...You are going to be mad in a few weeks when the new one comes out, or in 7 months if it takes that long. If people always waited for the next fastest mac, people would never get around to buying one. :D
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,559
1,484
Hytower77 said:
If people always waited for the next fastest mac, people would never get around to buying one. :D
Did you get your iMac Core Duo in January/soon thereafter or much more recently?
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Hytower77 said:
If people always waited for the next fastest mac, people would never get around to buying one. :D

I think there's a lot of people in these forums that do just that. They've probably had the money in the bank for 2 years now, just still waiting for that g5 powerbook :rolleyes:
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,559
1,484
My G4 450 is 6 1/2 years old and I decided to get an Intel Mac this year and would purchase June-July. But then they pushed back WWDC. So I knew I had another month or so. Now I guess it's Paris or the week before (though that might only be the MBP). I am probably getting a Mini since I have almost completely ruled out the iMac. And it's doubtful we'll see a mid-tower. But while I'm not holding my breath or my cash for the Mini to get 128MB shared video, 965 or X3000 (I think the 965 is out, but the X3000 will be Santa Rosa - not really sure about all that), or even Merom (since there is a good chance it will stay Yonah for some time), I am going to wait another month if that's what it takes to get a speed bump to 1.83 or 2.0. It might be silly, and not really worth it, but the revisions are due and coming and I want to take advantage of that, who knows there may be a slight price drop too.