Buying First Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tarnow41, Sep 4, 2011.

1. tarnow41 macrumors newbie

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

After a couple of months of researching and going back and forth on which Mac to buy, I think I'm set on getting the entry level iMac. I am a senior in college and I have come to the realization that I hardly use my dell laptop outside of the house, not even on campus to work on projects (although some of it has to do with the fact that my laptop batter is shot). So after wanting the 13inch MBP initially, I decided to start looking at the iMacs for an all-in-one desktop. I believe that it's definitely the best value, when comparing the two the 21.5 iMac seems to be a much better computer. Yes? (Only wish it came with a bigger hard drive, seems a little small compared to the rest of the market). Looking long-term, my plan is to buy either the iPad 2 or iPad 3 depending on the time to have for my mobile computing needs, although I do currently own an iPhone 4.

So after searching different retailers, I found the entry-level 21.5 at Amazon for $1,132 with free shipping and no tax. Seems to be the best deal out there even with the $100 itunes card from Apple. My only wish was that you could swap the magic mouse for the trackpad, which you can do if you order from Apple online.

I just have a couple of questions:

1. Would you agree with buying the iMac from Amazon?

2. It is possible to buy Applecare later from Apple and add it on the iMac within a year of buying it from Amazon, right?

3. Is there anything I am not taking into consideration with the purchase? Thankfully, I have a friend with a use left on microsoft office.

That's about it. Thanks for any help!

2. lyunmac macrumors member

I recently bought a mac mini from apple and also used the student discount. The mac mini was cheaper at amazon and best buy by $10 but I decided to buy it at the apple store. If it is much cheaper at amazon then you should buy it there because even though I got the $100 app card I find it useless. I don't see the purpose of buying music and movies on iTunes because it will only play on the iOS devices and not anywhere else. I rather purchase the media on dvd or cd and put them on any device I have. I don't know how much better pages, keynote, or numbers are than the open office suite which is free. Buy it on amazon since its tax free. I also recently purchased a new trackpad on ebay for $55 and it works great with Lion. The listing is still there for 5 more days. Good luck on your purchase and enjoy your new mac.

PS: I wish they still gave the free iPod touch instead of the $100 app card

3. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I love buying stuff from Amazon but you should check the student discount at the Apple Store before buying from Amazon. If it's only a $10 or $20 difference you could order it form them and get the trackpad.

4. tarnow41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just think it would take awhile for me to use the $100 card from Apple. And not paying sales tax is a substantial discount.

5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

You should still look into the educational discount you would get at Apple and/or online store. Also, if you ring the online store, the sales reps will help you decide which product will suit your needs best.

To be perfectly honest, I would urge you to consider a Macbook Air. In a year or two, you will be in a job and you may need to be travelling more so having portability is useful. To boot, with a super cool new netbook, you will get much more from it by taking it to college with you and doing work on the go. And if student life in the US is anything like the UK, where you move house every year, it's also easier to transport! Good luck whatever you decide to do.

6. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I bought my Macbook from amazon, and it was much cheaper and shipped in 3 days for free! But like someone else said, are you sure you do not want a laptop? They are around that same price range and much more accessible if you want to go out.

It's up to you, but your first mac will be the best purchase you will make. It has only been two years with mine and my life is so much easier. PC's only gave me headaches.

Enjoy, and trust your instincts.