Buying first Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk24iam, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sk24iam macrumors regular

Hello, I plan on switching from PC to Mac in the next week or so. My 5 year old Dell inspiron died this weekend. I'm interested in buying a 13" Macbook Pro. I took a look at Best Buy's selection yesterday and it seemed like the best option for me. I was wondering what I will need to bring to use my student discount? Do I only need my student ID card and email? Also, I found this printable coupon online which may give a better discount... http://dealspl.us/download.php?f=70570

Do you think this will apply to macs?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. celticpride678

To be able to get the student discount, you need to show the employee your Student ID Card and that's it.

The link to the coupon you found is broken.

4. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

You talking about that 10% off coupon? I didn't read all the fine print, but I'm willing to bet it doesn't apply to Apple products.

6. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, the pdf to the printable coupon. I didn't see anything that excluded apple but I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It doesn't include computers, at all.

8. sk24iam thread starter macrumors regular

that's too bad, looks like i'll be sticking with the student discount.

9. jshelton macrumors 6502a

The folks at Best Buy didn't ask for my student ID when I purchased my MBP in June. I tried to get the -$100 plus the free iPod Touch, but they said they could only give the student discount.

I would carry your ID just in case though. Good luck!

10. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I spoke to some people in the Apple store when I was home over fall break this past week and I have this information to share with you..

It's probably best to go to the Apple store. Here's a few reasons:
    1) Student discount in-store
    2) If you want to, you can go for the 12 months no interest credit card that is sponsored through Apple. If you apply in the store, you get instant notification. If you apply online, you have to wait for the card to come in before you can apply.
    3) You can pay with that 12 months no interest card and with another card if you're not approved for enough money.

11. jshelton macrumors 6502a

The Best Buy card offered by HSBC has 18 months no interest storewide on purchases $499 and up. Best Buy will apply the student discount in-store also.

12. RDM3 macrumors regular

I know my Best Buy has open box deals, I got my 15" for $875 and 18 months same as cash, so check that out that option

13. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I think they just trust you, apple stores do that a lot too.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

When the Best Buy threads were going around, it varied - same with the Apple Store. I'd be interested to see now, now that the Back-to-School shopping has ended.

15. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Good to know, thanks. Is it the same student discount available through Apple?

16. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it's not actually a "student discount". Best Buy just price matches. Whatever the student discount is from Apple, that is what they will give you.