Buying first smartphone - Thinking 5s or 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luke465, Jan 8, 2015.

1. luke465, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

luke465 macrumors newbie

I currently have a "dumb" phone, Just a standard pre-paid flip phone. It has served me well over the years and is cheap.

I have wanted to get a smartphone for awhile but put it off since my phone was so cheap and I had an ipad and ipod touch. Both did what I wanted since I am around wifi a lot at home and work.

Now I want to finally bite the bullet and get a smart phone. I plan to buy an unlocked model from apple to then use on a prepaid service.

I am stuck between the 5s and the 6. I don't see myself using Apple Pay much.

The main things I would want is the data when not around wifi and the camera. The ipad and ipod cameras kinda suck.

The 6 camera should be better by just a bit but is it $150 better? (Between 5s 32GB and 6 64GB)

Size is also a concern as I would probably retire the ipod and use it for podcasts and music listing. It would be in my pocket a lot and I work on a lot of projects that requires moving, bending down to the ground, climbing stairs, ladders, etc. I am concerned about the 6 being too big for that.

Any advice for someone upgrading from a flip phone on whether to get the 5s or the 6? Thanks.

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Coming from a flip phone, you will be impressed by either's camera so that shouldn't be much of a deciding factor. However, size will. You'll find both phones big. Is there any local store where you can go and touch them? I would highly recommend it.

I have a 5s and it's plenty fast and quite nice so don't think you're missing out not getting the 6 if the size of the 6 concerns you.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Either would be good. Depends on how much you would rather spend.

4. luke465 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea to go to the store and see especially since I haven't held either. I like my ipod touch since it is super tiny. Whenever I have it out people ask, "What phone is that?"

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd go with the 6. Faster processor, better camera, more storage, etc. Like Pharmscott I'd recommend going to see them in person before making a decision.

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

I will go for 6. And you won't be able to use apple pay anyways. Since it's limited to iPhone 6 plus only.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have the 5s and before that I owned a flip but I used my iPod touch a lot to make purchases in the store. So going to 5s I still use the purchasing in store with Passbook. I don't know why people wouldn't try to use those features when you are paying monthly for a service. I like going paperless with these smartphones. Using services like Ticketmaster and others stores that allow you to upload a coupon or customer card is nice to have.

The iPhone 6 is a little more convenient for paying. Camera is just another tool, something to have. Maybe look at the size factor like the others said. Go with the 5s

When traveling I use both iPad and iPods. The iPad is nice for making phone calls when your iPhone is out of the room or charging. The trio is a nice combination to have.

8. Dan70 macrumors regular

I'd get an iPhone 5s. It's smaller and also looks much nicer (my opinion anyway). One of the main factors though is that it'll be cheaper for you to buy. So I'd recommend getting a 5s rather than a 6 or 6 Plus.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Incorrect. Apple Pay works on both models.

10. Wacko247 macrumors newbie

Wow just wow. It's truly amazing how much absolute garbage there is in these forums.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Go with the 6 if the extra few hundred extra for it is meaningless.

12. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My wife and I were in almost the same exact scenario as you are describing. We were flip phone users and wanted to go to a smart phone for the first time. I belt carry my phone so I wanted something not too big. We went for the 5s and have been totally pleased with them. I like the thicker build of the 5s over the 6 phones. That may sound strange, but I just do. I would second the opinions offered by others to go to the apple store and hold both phones and try to get a good first hand feel. I have large hands and the slightly larger screen of the 6 would have been nice for texting, but the price difference was just a lot. We are happy 5s owners. Hopefully you will let us know once you have made the decision.:)

13. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

ohk my bad. i just mixed it up with OIS.

----------

Wow JUST WOW for being a jerk and try to be cool. anyone can be mistaken. so just calm down and relax. Mr wanabecool

14. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Spend the extra money and get a future proof device. Take it from someone who is on a iPhone 4s and trying to use ios 8.

15. luke465 thread starter macrumors newbie

All good advice. Headed to the store to figure it out.

Thanks.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Try them both in store. I have the 5S as a backup, and if buying new, I would go the 6 over it.

17. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

Also, if you want to keep it a long time, get 6, since it will be supported on the current iOS for longer.

18. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I buy a "used" 5C with 32GB of storage! There not that much difference between the 5C and 5S in terms of actual performance. I know I had both! Plus the 5C is easier to hold or clutch and has a slightly bigger battery inside it too! Since it made of polycarbonate; it will not get damage as easily as the metal 5S.

But if I were deciding 5S or 6; for $150.00 more; the iPhone 6 is a better deal; since it has better camera; bigger screen; thinner, A9 SoC and NFC Apple Pay along with a much refined Touch ID too.