Buying for a *friend* in school rather than a son/daughter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMC08, Jun 29, 2012.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

My roommate is doing a program at a college, and he has a school ID for it. Can I go to the Apple Store with his ID and have them use his info for the discount? Has anyone done this when buying for a roommate or friend?

2. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

why not get it shipped ?

3. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Why not just take him with you? Have him show his ID, pay the dude, then hand you the computer when you leave?

Really, Apple is extremely lax about the student discount thing.

4. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

Want to buy in store so I don't have to wait, and he's out of town now.

Anyone done this before? Does it work?

5. JS77 macrumors regular

Dude, it's pretty obvious you want the discount to buy for yourself... in which case, just order online with the discount and wait and see if you're one of the Apple spot checks.

6. njean777 macrumors 6502

Just go in and say you are in College, most of the time they ask you which university and then nothing more. I have not once had them ever ask for my student ID (even though I have one). They are really lax about it.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

IF you look like a college-age student, they might not even ask. If you've been to college and happen to know your university page login, then you don't need his ID.

And yes, you can just bring his ID and say you're buying a gift for your brother/cousin/friend.....etc. They honestly don't really give a sh-t.