buying from Apple or Amazon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pectin232, Jul 30, 2010.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

For the iMac 27 inch 8GB RAM and 2TB drive.. Amazon is $2300+ while apple is $2300+ Plus the Tax. Which is then better? Amazon.. save the nearly $300 and get Office and other gadgets or buy from Apple? Suggestions? Although AMAZON is not yet available........ probably soon.

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Amazon offers an amazing service. Just make sure Amazon is the seller, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Besides, Apple still covers the iMac in case of failure regardless of were you buy it.

3. 49JC macrumors member

I've been wondering this as well. So when you say Apple covers the iMac in case of failure. Am I able to order from Amazon and still get an exchange at Apple? E.g - yellow screen, cracked case, etc.

4. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

In my experience when dealing with apple, it's far easier to buy from apple direct then to buy from a third party.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Do check it first at an Apple Store, but I'm almost 100% sure you can. It's like buying from Best Buy. Apple still covers your Mac thru the first year, and you can still buy AppleCare.

Besides, Amazon is very flexible with returns. So if you receive the iMac, and you decide it has some kind of defect, Amazon would accept your return within a certain amount of days.

6. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

I really like amazon for purchasing mostly everything , and I really recommend it when it comes to their customer service.

So yea apple will charge ya a lot with tax but amazon you will get a pretty good bargain. So if you don't mind waiting for the iMac to be back in stock in amazon, I say it worth the wait.

But if you wanna customize it with i7 and more hdd and RAM , apple is the way to go :) as I don't think amazon carries the i7 iMac , only the base line model i5

Good luck :)

7. yzc717 macrumors member

well, we can't build to order through amazon.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, Amazon can be a great place to buy. I recommend them.

However, I don't know how you're getting a 2GB drive and 8 GB of RAM from them. They only have the stock configurations.

9. MassMacFan macrumors newbie

Check to see if your state is having a tax free holiday if you want to buy in a store. Some of this are coming up *this weekend* :D
    http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html
    (that's just one source found on Google)

Here in MA the state senate is working on a bill that may create one this August.