Buying from Apple Retail - Personal Check?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeffrosproto, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy a new MacBook Air this weekend, and I was wondering if the Apple Retail Stores would accept a Personal Check. I have found some posts from 2007 saying they did, but I don't know if that's changed since then. I couldn't find anything on their website, so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. I could pay with cash, but I'd rather not. (In the US, by the way).

Thanks!

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

They do, but they take your driver's license information and address. I saw my friend do this last week and that is what they did with him.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, they do accept personal cheques.

4. greyshot macrumors newbie

Personal Checks

Yes they do, but as with any other retail establishment it can be a real pain. They will request information such as the drivers license number, DOB, and phone number. If you use a credit card though, its infinitely easier to make returns or look up receipts.

5. Jeffrosproto thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks for the information everyone! :) I may not end up using a check, but I wanted to make sure the option was there, just in case.

6. crashdebris macrumors newbie

Call the store?

I'm just curious why it was easier to ask on a forum of non-apple retail employees than it would be to call the store based on the contact us number on their website?

7. Jeffrosproto thread starter macrumors 6502

They weren't open when I posted this. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here; someone must have paid with a check (if they allowed it) at one point or another.

8. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

No real good reason.
    Not only this, but who the f writes checks, except for the little old ladies in the check-out line ahead of ME?
    Be sure to bring your quill pen and a bottle of ink to complete the scene. Oh, and a blotter. You might want to bring along your scrivener, as well. Can't be too safe you know.
    And be sure to balance your checkbook before you leave the counter. The people behind you (ME!) don't mind at all. We all enjoy a return to the 19th Century, and have all the time in the world.

(Don't most, if not all, bank accounts give one at least a debit card?)

Sorry for the sarcasm, its a pet peeve of mine.

9. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

As a former Apple retail employee, it was a pain in the ass to have customers pay by check.

You have to go to the full register at the back of the store (can't use EasyPay Touch), and there's always a chance a check needs to be verified by the store employee. This involves calling an external company (such as TeleCheck), being put on hold, and etc etc, once this is all done, you realize there's a line of 7 people that built up because one person decided to pay by check instead of credit card.