Buying from Apple Store - Regent Street - London

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello all,

I plan on getting a Mac at the end of the year (MBP).

I'm currently in Europe, but am visiting family back in the UK in November, and have planned a shopping day in London...

I want to buy in store as I can't risk having a dead/stuck pixel and will want to try it in store...will they let me do that?

How are stocks at Regent Street's store? Can you phone in advance to reserve?

Are the staff nice and helpful?

Is there a member of staff on here wanting to make a killer sale? :p

What proof do they need for a Higher Education discount? If I log onto my student Uni account, is that enough, or do they want proof, like a letter addressed to me from Uni or a student card?

What's the rebate? 15%?

Thanks,

appledu
 

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
3,342
2
Washington, DC
appledu said:
Hello all,

I plan on getting a Mac at the end of the year (MBP).

I'm currently in Europe, but am visiting family back in the UK in November, and have planned a shopping day in London...

I want to buy in store as I can't risk having a dead/stuck pixel and will want to try it in store...will they let me do that?
No, you have to purchase it first. This prevents you from going through endless computers to find one that you want, only to force them to sell them at a discount later because they are open.

appledu said:
How are stocks at Regent Street's store? Can you phone in advance to reserve?
It's a flaghship store, I would imagine they're stocked to the brim. Couldn't hurt to call first though.

appledu said:
Are the staff nice and helpful?
I see no reason why they wouldn't be. They weren't hired because their rude and useless.

appledu said:
What's the rebate? 15%?
Check on the Apple Store for education on the UK site.

appledu said:
No problem.
 

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
314
0
UK !!!
also theres no higher education discount, only normal education which is about 8%. for the full he dicount you have to either phone up or go through your universitys network.
 

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
767
0
Birmingham
The discount is 6% on new machines (or at least this is what I was quoted on a Mac mini) - the online discount is far bigger.

Staff are OK, but the store is too crammed and this is the centre of London - like most big cities, it's not as friendly and personable as a smaller city. The staff at the Bullring are far better IMO.
 

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
314
0
UK !!!
thequicksilver said:
The discount is 6% on new machines (or at least this is what I was quoted on a Mac mini) - the online discount is far bigger.

Staff are OK, but the store is too crammed and this is the centre of London - like most big cities, it's not as friendly and personable as a smaller city. The staff at the Bullring are far better IMO.
too right, and what even more annoying is that they have free internet on nearly all the machines so people just use it as a free internet cafe! arrrgggg, i want to have a look at the machine fool!
 

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2006
489
332
Switzerland
I personally prefer the Regent's Street Store to the Bullring, but I tend ot find at the Bullring, more staff are available to help you. like the other day I was in there, and this dude who had just finished doin a garageband tutorial came over to me, whilst I was messing around on Garageband, and promptly spent 45mins going through all the features of it and making a bangin tune with some HD video, I was very impressed.

What I particularly love about Apple stores is that there isn't a push to buy, buy, buy, well, except for my wallet wanting every computer in the store :p
The staff offer assistance, are more thn happy to show you the hardware + software and don't pressure you into buying, more than can be said for quite a few PC stores I know....

Cheers guys
 

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks...

I think that I can get a 15% discount with a NUS card...

Surely, in order to do a sale, they will just let me test the screen, I can hardly see them having to open many in order to get a working screen...:eek:

appledu
 

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,758
37
London
majorp said:
also theres no higher education discount, only normal education which is about 8%. for the full he dicount you have to either phone up or go through your universitys network.
6%

Great store. Great stock. Really nice and helpful staff.
 

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
2,593
1,151
appledu said:
...Surely, in order to do a sale, they will just let me test the screen, I can hardly see them having to open many in order to get a working screen...:eek:

appledu
don't know if they have different policies at the stores in the UK but here in the USA they generally wont let you open a box to check out the computer before you buy it.....you can buy it and then open it immediately to see if there are any problems and return it right then if there are
 

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
314
0
UK !!!
appledu said:
Thanks...

I think that I can get a 15% discount with a NUS card...

Surely, in order to do a sale, they will just let me test the screen, I can hardly see them having to open many in order to get a working screen...:eek:

appledu
6% like netdog said. and not a chance on opening the box first.
 

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
2,448
1
West Coast
Macky-Mac said:
don't know if they have different policies at the stores in the UK but here in the USA they generally wont let you open a box to check out the computer before you buy it.....you can buy it and then open it immediately to see if there are any problems and return it right then if there are
I can second this.

Unless you put up a big stink, and really make a fool of yourself and annoy the other customers by throwing a fit (which I've seen far too often in Apple Stores!), they'll make you purchase it before opening it, even though they'll gladly let you open it right up afterwards.

As for the whole dead pixel thing in general, you may not get them to return it without a restocking fee if the only problem is just a dead pixel. It all depends how the employee is.
 

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
OK, it's fair to buy it, if I can exchange it for a straight swap directly...

Would it be possible for me to buy it, test it and return it the next day, if necessary for a direct exchange?

I know there's a program for testing pixels, can anyone give me the link?

I'm also pretty sure that I can get 15% discount with a NUS card...:confused:

Thanks,

appledu
 

Yigit

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
17
0
London
about the HE Discount

Actually the discount rate depends on your university. 6 or 8% is the regular edu discount as I know, but the HE one varies. And yes, it should be around 15% - you are not wrong.

In addition, you can use your HE discount within the Apple store (at least at Regent). I also used to believe that the HE thing was only for the online store, but now as i have learned that if you visit the store with your NUS card, you will be able to shop with the relevant discount rate for your university.
 

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
Yigit said:
Actually the discount rate depends on your university. 6 or 8% is the regular edu discount as I know, but the HE one varies. And yes, it should be around 15% - you are not wrong.

In addition, you can use your HE discount within the Apple store (at least at Regent). I also used to believe that the HE thing was only for the online store, but now as i have learned that if you visit the store with your NUS card, you will be able to shop with the relevant discount rate for your university.

That's what I wanted to hear! :)

Thanks,

appledu
 

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
888
0
nj
appledu said:
I meant that I'm in "mainland Europe"...
:rolleyes:

appledu
I just find it funny, because I've recently been in the UK for some time, and even though most UK citizens don't see themselves as Europeans, they seem to be insulted when you refer to continental Europe as "Europe" and to the UK as a country outside of Europe.. ;-)
 

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
weg said:
I just find it funny, because I've recently been in the UK for some time, and even though most UK citizens don't see themselves as Europeans, they seem to be insulted when you refer to continental Europe as "Europe" and to the UK as a country outside of Europe.. ;-)

:rolleyes: , I know fellow Brits who are offended either way... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what that pixel tester program is?

appledu
 

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
767
0
Birmingham
weg said:
I just find it funny, because I've recently been in the UK for some time, and even though most UK citizens don't see themselves as Europeans, they seem to be insulted when you refer to continental Europe as "Europe" and to the UK as a country outside of Europe.. ;-)
Interesting, as someone who has lived in France, it's pretty much universal for most English people I know both at home and abroad to refer to the rest of Europe as "the continent" as opposed to "Europe".

We tend to see ourselves as part of the general grouping called Europe, but different enough from those on "the continent" to merit the difference in name.
 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
I used to buy most of my stuff from regent street and experiences have been mixed. I don't get full discounts like i would the online store, some employees tend to think they're gods because they work in an Apple store and tend to be aloof...then again maybe its because i'm black and they think i'm a time wasting wannabe who has no money to spend.

Anyways i only buy accesories or carry out repairs now from that store and do all major hardware purchases online or when i'm in the states. US stores treat me a whole lot better. For example, a recent trip i made to a NJ morristown store was pleasant. The lady ASKED if i was a student and would like a discount (since i looked like a student)...even though i was from England, she still made it happen and i got a student discount on my MBP. Courteous, friendly and nice overall.

But yeah the store is a flagship and is well stocked and you may run into some cool staff and you may not. As for discounts, i dunno....