Buying from Apple US inside UK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallguy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. smallguy macrumors regular

Hi, I have looked at the refurbished prices off macs on the apple store and its much cheaper when youve converted it, and theres more to choose from.

So can i buy off the US store from the UK? I know all the tax will affect it but would it still be a save?

Im looking at the refurbished MacBook Pro 13" refurbished by the way

2. swedefish macrumors 6502

Sorry, but unless you have a US billing address and someone in the US who can ship it to you, you can't.

3. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Looks like only Apple in Southeast Asia does overseas (but intra region) shipping.

4. pixor macrumors member

It's not the bargain it appears, once you've paid the tax and shipping. And you may have issues if it ever needs a warranty repair.

Do you know anyone in education who could buy with the education discount? That might be the best way, as you'll not have these issues, then.

5. Hustler1337, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I've recently bought a brand new sealed MBP from eBay (Early 2011 base 15" model shipped with Lion), and I am almost sure that the seller buys his MBP's from Canada (which works out even cheaper than the US). I paid £1,179 for it which is around a £400 saving off Apple UK's RRP, and a much better deal than the Education Store Discount. Only thing that I am not happy about is the US style keyboard and the US/Canadian plug which requires an adaptor (a flimsy adaptor was however provided by the seller). Other than that, I'm very happy with the cost savings, and the disadvantages are heavily outweighed when considering how much I've saved.

If you would like, I can PM you the seller's eBay store, or just visit eBay. I'm almost sure you will find the seller.

(Note to mods: if this is for some reason this considered as advertising, please let me know and I'll remove it/ feel free to remove this post. I've deliberately not posted the seller's ID just in case) ;)

Edit: forgot to mention, they're shipped from the UK, next business day, and so there's no customs duty/tax to pay, which can often be quite a bit money, especially with electronics.

6. smallguy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, Yh PM the seller, Im a bit out off by the USA Keyboard etc but its still a saving and im sure with that £400 youve saved a magsafe adapter is affordable:D

By the way i am a student :)

7. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

The keyboard difference is not too much of a problem (I'm quite picky), it's only annoying when you go to type the '@' symbol and it is a ':'. Otherwise, it's fine. :D

Here's what the UK keyboard layout looks like: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4996/dscn7265.jpg

and here's the US/ Canadian layout:
    http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/MacBook-Pro-04.jpg

I'll PM you the seller.

Oh, and btw I'm a student as well. Every penny counts

8. Ian.C macrumors regular

people from the uk buying a us machine you need one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRUMPYMA...Accessories&hash=item43a4d0bc59#ht_591wt_1396

works a treat and once fitted apart from the US keyboard you can tell the difference...

and i think the ebay seller is electronic king... i have bought 5 macbook pro's from him and they have all been a fantastic saving, and the service is first class... you get them the next day by royal mail special delivery...

lovely...

Ian

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Which applies to the UK keyboards too.. apple always have the @ above two, regardless of UK or US.

Main differences are shape of enter key, swapping of # and £, and was one other key moved about I think.