Buying from Ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TDPHunter, Oct 8, 2007.

1. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Hello everyone,

I am in a crunch and am looking on saving money when it comes to buying a new mac. So, I thought I would search ebay to see if there were any good deals and I saw this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270173246352

Now, by looking at the sellers record and such. I'm not so sure if this deal is really a deal. Also, I have never used Ebay before and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to what to look out for. Thanks and much appreciated.

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Run away

Warning signs:

1) Laptop: they're a very commonly scammed item
    2) They only have one feedback. Very suspicious.
    3) The picture is not of their computer. The picture has been captured from somewhere on the web.

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well, you can get a refurb from Apple.com for $2400, which includes a warranty and the ability to buy AppleCare.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...e.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=AA9C1548&nclm=CertifiedMac

Bidding on eBay usually is most active in the last 5-60 minutes of an auction. So I guess you'll have to see how high it goes vs. buying it from Apple and decide if it's worth saving a couple hundred bucks to you.

EDIT:
    I wasn't paying much attention to the actual listing. I IMPLORE YOU, DO NOT BUY FROM A SELLER WITHOUT SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS OF POSITIVE FEEDBACK.

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Be really careful. The old saying: "It it seems too good to be true..." You just aren't going to get such a great deal, everyone knows what a used computer is worth. I would get one from a local shop that you can actually walk into.

5. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Alright, I thought it was to good to be true. Ill just wait another month or so and then Ill probably be able to get a brand new one or a refurb at that. Thanks for the insight.

6. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

ebay use to be good. But right now to many scammers. Its good for hard to find items. But for big purchase like a labtop its better to buy it from apple(new or used) or a local retail store. Its better that way so if anything goes wrong. Its easy to return.

Yeah you might save a few dollars on ebay. But theres one thing money can't buy and thats a peace of mind!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd avoid this auction. Price is a bit low, only 1 feedback and it was from a year ago (account most likely hijacked), and no photos of the item.

E-mail them and ask for photos with proof of date (ask them to stick a newspaper next to it). If they really want the sale they will do whatever it took or risk losing the sale. I would also recommend getting a # to call but they may not do that. I've sold two laptops on ebay and have done the same. Took a photo next to the current day's newspaper and gave them a # to call. One laptop was $400 the other was $1900. Either way, I did it because I respect people and their money and I wanted the sale.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Usually eBay is a good place to sell but not to buy.

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Good thing everyone doesn't follow that strategy all the time ;)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

:D P.T. Barnum would be proud of us.

11. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Help!!!

Deleted. Decided to report my situation to eBay and/or stop conversation with this seller.