Buying from Ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jay0, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jay0 macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new to this site. I mainly registered because I want to purchase one from ebay. Anyhow, I have been outbid on all auctions I've bid on...by the same member. :confused:

I wonder why this person has bid on quite a "few" MB991LL/A, MC374LL/A, and MC375LL/A auctions. The member has 230 feedback right now. I wish I could see who it was to see if it is a powerseller, or see its buying history because thats the only way I would understand how someone can be the current highest bidder on more than 7+ auctions for Macbook Pros.

Here is a link to said person hidden. I wonder if its a member from this site. :D
    http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....Name=PageBidderProfileViewBids_Buyer_ViewLink

2. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Macbooks are a pretty good deal from eBay right now if you don't need a customized version. If you use Bing cashback you can get 8% off a "Buy it Now" auction. This way you will avoid getting outbid and still get a great price. I think I saw a buy it now auction for a 15" base model for ~1680. Take 8% off that and you can have it for $1545. No tax either.

Although I am not sure such discussion is appropriate for these forums.

3. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

or it's a shill bidder to drive the price up?
    I never buy a mac from ebay but I sell my old macs on there all the time and have never had a bad experience doing so.

4. jay0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after looking around, I found out what member it is. socaldeal09.
    It seems this member is buying macbooks and reselling them but charging sales tax & recycle law fee if sold to Ca. residents and charging high shipping rates. ripoff artist!! :mad:

I don't mind getting outbid. It just vexes me knowing that I'm being outbid by the same person. lol

I'm a college student. I have $1,500 to spend and even though I can spend it my superego says that I shouldn't spend all of it on a mac. :|
    I'm tired of my macbook. I hate how easily it gets scratched or cracked. And white is just...ugh. I want something that will last.
    I don't need a 15 inch notebook. 13 is fine with me. So at the moment, I'm ok with manufacturer version.

By the way, since this thread already exists, will anyone tell me what you'd choose between these models and why, MB991LL/A and MC374LL/A, because it seems that is what I'm settling for and the only differences I see between models are:
    battery life: <7 and <10 hr
    2.53 and 2.4
    GeForce 9400M and GeForce 320M

I'm not computer savvy so I hope someone here will give me a better idea. :)

5. demonsavatar macrumors regular

I think the newer model comes with 4GB ram standard too, the old ones had 2GB. 3 more hours of battery life and a fairly big upgrade to the graphics card are well worth getting the new one. New one will also come with Snow Leapord (OSX 10.6) pre-installed.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Have you considered buying the 2.4 GHz 13" MBP from:
    1) Microcenter where it is $999
    2) Apple where it is $1099 + you get a free iPod touch 8 GB and free printer

I doubt you can do better than either of these options on ebay.

And definitely do not waste the extra money for the new 2.66GHz 13" or especially not on the older 2.53GHz 13" with the 9400M and shorter battery life.
    A $200 Intel 80GB SSD will improve performance more than the faster clock speed by a long shot, and the SSD will improve battery life.

7. demonsavatar macrumors regular

He is right, for 13" you might as well get it from Apple and get the free iPod touch and the printer. Sell the iPod touch for ~$150-175 if you really don't want it.

The great deals on eBay are really on the 15" models.

8. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

i bought a late 2008 15 unibody 2.4 500 7200rpm 4gb apple care until june 2012 from ebay, it cam last week and i couldnt be any happier.

I paid almost 1100 for it which i thought was a good deal. I came from a 2008 2.4 version of a pre unibody and i was gonna go with a 2010 model. the new i5 or i7 wasnt really a deal breaker but i was concerned if i was making a right decision getting the 2008 since a do heavy audio and visual stuff.

to some it up i was happy with my purchase from ebay, the laptop look brand new and the battery was still at 95 percent. The one resaon why i wanted an 2008 model was because i can just remove the battery at the bottom and i didnt want the sd slot. Not only is it fast it is quiet.

i say bay from ebay and save yourself a few hundred.