Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Bad Experience With Gainsaver

Do not buy from Gainsaver. They sent us a damaged computer that would not shut down or recognize the AirPort card. We returned it then Gainsaver took photos of it from all angles pointing out every scratch and dent that was on the computer when we received it! Then their support would not respond to my emails, try calling and they say you must submit a ticket online. Wow! This company cares not for the customer. I was willing to accept a few dents and scratches (their website says to expect them on used equipment) BUT to have them refuse an RMA of a faulty unit . . . that was the deal breaker! Calling my credit card to have them remove the charge and WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM GAINSAVER AGAIN!

Disappointed:(

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Disappointed w/ product and customer service

Product not as promised. Customer service hard to deal with--phone number just directs you to a form on the website.

My AirPort did not work correctly, and Steve, the manager I go a hold of, could offer no tech support for their product. He told me my only option was to return the computer (and that they would not cover return shipping).

I paid $400 for a computer I can't really use.

tornado1982

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
Do not use gainsavers

I purchased 2 computers about 2 months ago and after ordering them was told that they didn't have them available so two lesser models were substituted albeit at a reduced price. I can deal with that. When I got them the cases were cracked but the computers were usable. Shortly after one of the power cords began to spark. I emailed. No reply. Then they both shorted, one catching fire and melting the port on the computer. I am now without a computer and after several emails got no response. I called their line to find that they had no customer service over the phone. I called back and dialed the sales department hoping to get transferred. I was told that there was no customer service and that even though I had no computer as it had caught fire that I couldn't talk to anyone and was transferred to the automated line that told me again to go online. I called back and asked for a supervisor and was told that the bitch I was talking to was the supervisor and that she had no supervisor herself. When I called ******** she said that I didn't work there so I couldn't possibly know their hierarchy and was hung up on. I called back and was transferred to a voice-mail immediately that didn't allow a message. The bitch had blocked my number. I called from a different number and was told it didn't matter how many numbers I called from she'd block them all. There is no excuse for this kind of service to a customer. They got my $1000 sent me **** and didn't even try to fix it. If this prevents even one person from purchasing from them it'll be worth it. The bad thing is my friend that helped me pick the computer was going to start recommending the site if all went well on the purchase. Now all I have is two burned out paper weights and a wife with a burn on her hand.

smoothduc

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
buying from gainsaver

I read on google that buying from gainsaver is like buying from cdgospel but then I heard that some people who bought from them there purchase was good and is perfect so what is the vertect about the company? They do have refund policy.

I personally totally regret having bought a macbook pro. Did not come as advertised, would not go on the internet, no customer service, wishy washy reply of taking day's to maybe respond, had to have it diagnosed locally, spent $200 on that to find out it did not have a refurbished harddrive, it was'nt wiped clean either, it was broken!! That's a minimum of $100 for a new hard drive. I REGRET buying from GS, cannot recommend them at all. Not reputable according to our business here in town which has been in business for 20years. Stay clear!

SVAman

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Southern Virginia
I personally totally regret having bought a macbook pro. Did not come as advertised, would not go on the internet, no customer service, wishy washy reply of taking day's to maybe respond, had to have it diagnosed locally, spent $200 on that to find out it did not have a refurbished harddrive, it was'nt wiped clean either, it was broken!! That's a minimum of $100 for a new hard drive. I REGRET buying from GS, cannot recommend them at all. Not reputable according to our business here in town which has been in business for 20years. Stay clear!

A separate thread about vendors reminded me of these goons..

I entirely regret my business with Gainsaver as well, and it has been a long lesson which only ended last week. I hope my lesson saves someone else the hassle.

Early this year, I ordered some Mac Mini parts from their site.. I was in a rush, and didn't the time to research them. I think i saw an ad somewhere and just went for it..

It started bad, went poorly, and then went downhill from there.

1. they sent the wrong parts. and they didn't arrive for 2 weeks. :eek:
2. their support & help options SUCK - and they're slow.
3. they have no method of resolving issues other than "send it back and we'll replace"..

So I sent the parts back. and waited. :confused:
I then ordered the parts again. with information regarding the incorrect order (to clarify it).
got the wrong parts again. :mad:

I called in numerous times. Got the same guy on the phone (their phone system shoves EVERYBODY into voicemail unless you ask for "sales)... He was then entirely rude, even hung up on me NUMEROUS TIMES after refusing to help me. :mad:

I did a bit of research and found that BBB has actually DROPPED THEM (first time I've ever heard of this, and I have been involved with the BBB in numerous states for decades). BBB simply will not rate them in CA. I was going to send the phone recordings of my calls to BBB, until I realized it wouldn't do any good.

Furthermore, they are NOT legally REGISTERED with the state in California (that I could tell). They are legally registered with NV, in Las Vegas. Not sure if that's entirely illegal (that they're registered only in NV but operating in CA), but it seems pretty shady. So the BBB has them listed in both locations as well, but the BBB won't actually accredit them at EITHER location..

I'm unsure if they're registered with the state in NV (I've given up on spending more time researching them, as I've been able to extract my money back, and don't want to waste more of my life)...

Anyway, that's that....

After my 8 week long fiasco with them, I went on to Amazon and found the Mac parts I needed, but I also found a real gem!

I ordered thru Wegener MEDIA because they had really high ratings on Amazon. Wow, what a change - the service from them was outstanding - everything that Gainsaver was NOT! They sent the RIGHT PARTS the first time AND they included a *FREE* 800# support number with the order (with a live person on it).

Dealing with wegener was so pleasant, it was literally a shock to my system! I ended up getting a 13" Macbook Pro thru them, and it was EXACTLY as they described - I LOVE it! It's almost hard to believe that great customer service still exists in today's world, but they're doing it right - they even sent me follow up emails to make sure I was happy with their service. :cool:

My Gainsaver nightmare was a couple of months ago. I JUST got a letter from my credit card company last week, showing that my chargeback refund had been completed. geeez, only 5 months to get my money back, when ALL I WANTED was a drive for a mini and an adaptor. :(

All I can say is shame on me for not having researched Gainsaver prior to this fiasco. Hopefully somebody else can learn from my mistake.

Blairian

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2014
I recently bought a Mac Pro early 2009 from gainsaver. It was about 270 so I wasn't expecting much; I was also looking for a computer I could work on. They absolutely followed through with what they promised, in the sense that they sent me the product. However, casual computer buyer beware. They cut massive corners with their mods.

I ordered a computer with 4gb ram. They delivered 4gb clocked below bus speed. Useless.

Added a new graphics card for extra 200. They added a 70 dollar card. It's a good card, just not worth 200 bucks.

For what it is, all together I did save a fair amount of money, but if you don't want a computer that needs tlc, don't buy from gainsaver.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I read on google that buying from gainsaver is like buying from cdgospel but then I heard that some people who bought from them there purchase was good and is perfect so what is the vertect about the company? They do have refund policy.

Their "refund policy" isn't worth the bandwidth you used to read it... :(

GainSaver is the shadiest scheme of the used market. Get a bunch of Macs from all over and strip them to bare essentials. You mean to tell me a MacBook Pro, made from 2006 onwards came with a 20 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM, and a CD Drive? They strip it and charge you for "upgrades" that should have been included.

I had the displeasure of dealing with a G5 for a friend from there. The machine ran, but I have never seen a Mac missing so many parts. The essentials were there, but there were many parts stripped or broken. Here is a list:

Internal Speaker (Broken)
Lower CPU Fan (Broken)
Acryllic AirFlow door (Tabs Broken)
Drive Mounting Hardware (Missing)
Radiator Pump cover (missing)
Optical Audio Port Cover (Missing)

There were plenty more parts missing but I don't feel like talking about how bad they are until I am :( in the face. Just stay away. There are too many nice and honest people on the Internet or on Craigslist to be dealing with shady people like them...

MLUser

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Gainsaver is a waste of Time, Money, & will to live

Gainsaver may have a return policy, but unless you have no problem having to send back, at Your Expense, 4 different laptops with varying defects each time, then go ahead and buy from these people. The customer service fluctuates between unhelpful and completely rude. These people have no problem wasting your time, and I had to drop over $200 on returning defective laptops to them. Whatever money I saved in not going directly through Apples certified refurbished program I lost in the shipping alone, not to mention the time and business I lost because of this, on top of the sheer aggravation it caused. This is THE Worst company I have ever dealt with. This next one comes broken and Im filing for a full refund and complaining to the better business bureau. I gain nothing from giving you my advice, which is stay away from this business.
Good luck out there!

esmyth

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Gainsaver Fraudulent Practice

I purchased and received a used macbook air from Gainsaver and the invoice listed that the machine came with a 128 GB solid state drive. After a short 45 days of use it malfunctioned and I had to replace the solid state drive and when so doing discovered that they had sent an already replaced 120 GB OWC brand solid state drive, not the 128 GB drive they purported to send me as listed on the invoice. This is fraudulent practice. Their online only customer service purposely ignored the fraudulent fact and tried to refer me to firms that repair macs. It is easy to hide behind the guise of online communication. This was not a repair issue, it was an issue of fraud sending me a machine that wasn't what was listed on the invoice. Once they have your money, they will do eveything they can to avoid remedying the problem and playing dumb and you can't talk to anyone. They just blow you off. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE. NO INTEGRITY WHATSOEVER!!!!!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I purchased and received a used macbook air from Gainsaver and the invoice listed that the machine came with a 128 GB solid state drive. After a short 45 days of use it malfunctioned and I had to replace the solid state drive and when so doing discovered that they had sent an already replaced 120 GB OWC brand solid state drive, not the 128 GB drive they purported to send me as listed on the invoice. This is fraudulent practice. Their online only customer service purposely ignored the fraudulent fact and tried to refer me to firms that repair macs. It is easy to hide behind the guise of online communication. This was not a repair issue, it was an issue of fraud sending me a machine that wasn't what was listed on the invoice. Once they have your money, they will do eveything they can to avoid remedying the problem and playing dumb and you can't talk to anyone. They just blow you off. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE. NO INTEGRITY WHATSOEVER!!!!!

That's when you charge it back on your card and let them do the talking.

wmcgowan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Used machine good and parts horrible

My wife accidentally spilled tea on my Macbook pro so I had an apple technician look at my machine and he told me I needed a new top case and a motherboard. I discovered Gainsaver online and decided I wanted a larger laptop so I upgraded and bought a 15" as well as a top case and a motherboard to fix the old one. The motherboard and top case was advertised for significantly cheaper than anywhere else (should have been a red flag right there). I received the 15" and it has worked fine for some time now but the parts were the worst parts I have ever purchased for anything. The motherboard had significant water damage and it was clear the top case had water damage too. I took a chance and had them put in because I didn't think this business would sell parts that didn't work. I learned the hard way; they were useless. Upon closer examination the motherboard had significant corrosion all over the board. They do not test or inspect their parts before selling them obviously. I should have never paid to have them put in and I should have sent it back immediately. When I complained they were rude and did nothing to make it right. Do not buy parts from these people they have no conscience.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My wife accidentally spilled tea on my Macbook pro so I had an apple technician look at my machine and he told me I needed a new top case and a motherboard. I discovered Gainsaver online and decided I wanted a larger laptop so I upgraded and bought a 15" as well as a top case and a motherboard to fix the old one. The motherboard and top case was advertised for significantly cheaper than anywhere else (should have been a red flag right there). I received the 15" and it has worked fine for some time now but the parts were the worst parts I have ever purchased for anything. The motherboard had significant water damage and it was clear the top case had water damage too. I took a chance and had them put in because I didn't think this business would sell parts that didn't work. I learned the hard way; they were useless. Upon closer examination the motherboard had significant corrosion all over the board. They do not test or inspect their parts before selling them obviously. I should have never paid to have them put in and I should have sent it back immediately. When I complained they were rude and did nothing to make it right. Do not buy parts from these people they have no conscience.

Chargeback on your card and let them deal with it.

DJ Basqo

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Gainsaver BEWARE Please read!!!

Gainsaver may have a return policy, but unless you have no problem having to send back, at Your Expense, 4 different laptops with varying defects each time, then go ahead and buy from these people. The customer service fluctuates between unhelpful and completely rude. These people have no problem wasting your time, and I had to drop over $200 on returning defective laptops to them. Whatever money I saved in not going directly through Apples certified refurbished program I lost in the shipping alone, not to mention the time and business I lost because of this, on top of the sheer aggravation it caused. This is THE Worst company I have ever dealt with. This next one comes broken and Im filing for a full refund and complaining to the better business bureau. I gain nothing from giving you my advice, which is stay away from this business.
Good luck out there!

Wish I listened!!!

I recently purchased a 2012 MacBook Pro with all the upgrades from Gainsaver for $1775.55, and got a 2011 NOT the 2012 I purchase, and the Apple mouse I got was FILTHY like a mechanic had it in his shop for a year or two! I added a NEW battery to my order since all the reviews say you get a dead one otherwise. The battery holds a charge for about an hr, and does not charge to 100%.
I called and talked to "James" who seemed ok at first. I was directed to ship the Macbook back, on my dime btw, so they could send me the Macbook I ordered. I received a call about week later from James, asking me for my shipping info,(seriously?!) so while I had him on the phone, I double checked that I was in fact getting a 2012. After checking, he told me it was another 2011?!?! I then had to look the part number for the 2012 up MYSELF (he could not find it) and gave it to James. All checked out ok.... till I got ANOTHER call a day later saying I am stuck with a 2011. (SIGH) I reluctantly agreed. Then got yet ANOTHER call an hr later saying I owe $128 more for this 2011! :eek: I say, "WHAT?!?!? :confused: How is it that you are charging me MORE money for an OLDER lap top that I ALREADY HAD IN MY HANDS?!?!"
His aggressive reply was, "I can just refund your money and you can go somewhere else!"
First of all, that was not an answer of ANY kind! Second WTF?! THAT"S their customer service?! :mad:

I will be looking for another company to deal with and I DO NOT recommend Gainsaverfor ANYTHING!!!!!

And I really wanted to write something positive. :( WEAK!

Last edited by a moderator:

RomoUa7

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
GainSaver is not a real store or anything. They have been around ripping people off for a LONG time. Sometimes your order just never comes in- sometimes it does as its broken- I have done A LOT of research of gainsaver. They are FAKE. There website is FAKE. I have not heard one real story of a good experience with gainsaver. The people who say good things are obviously the scam artist's them selves They have been doing this forever. This is OLD news. Stay away from them like the flu.

RomoUa7

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
well thanks for the comfermation,i was thinking of making a trade with gainsaver....i want a 2009 macbook pro or imac,for the fact that that year or is one of the years that has snow lepard...my macbook pro is 2012 mid the lowest downgrade is lion....and i didnt know how the macbook pro os goes....since i been on a pc..but yeah i was going to trade my mac is brand spanking new not even a month old got it 8-21-15 and today is the 10-12-15.....im glad iim doing research,and thank you pal for this post and many others....my best bet is to buy a imac from amazon.com seeing that they are more lagit...but yes i too am taking a chance for the conditions from there.But better from amazon then gainsaver...man i would have kick my self in the snazz...im keepping my new macbook por and buying a 2009 imac at the lowest price.....if anyone knows of a Legit place on the internet to buy used macs please post it thakns........and thanks again for this and all the rest i been reading:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.