Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StrokeMidnight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Hey I'm about to buy a G-Tech Raid 2 Firewire drive and I've realized that the only two places that I can afford to buy from are MacMall and ClubMac. Are these good sites? I've read mixed reviews on resellerratings.com so I thought I'd check here.

By the way...if something is a RAID 500GB hard drive can you reconfigure it to be a 1TB hard drive? I want the drive either way, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

joelm1988

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
Does anyone know if either MacMall or ClubMac ship to the UK? I can get the exact MB I want for £102 ($203) less at either of them than I can even with Apple's education discount.

FanOfMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
MacMall USA - Excellent

I purchased my first MacBook, actually my first Mac period, from MacMall in December 2007. Service was great. Customer service even went over several rebates with me to be sure that I had filled them out correctly (I had purchased many items and it was not clear which items needed to be listed on various forms). Top notch service. Everything packaged perfectly (boxes within boxes) so nothing damaged, scratched, dented, smudged, etc.

I'll purchase from them again. The only issue I had from the whole experience is a rebate issue with VMware but that's not MacMall's fault. VMware has been one big pain in my backside regarding a $50 VMware Fusion rebate. First they denied it; I contested, showing them that I met all requirements; now, they're dragging their feet. But, I documented everything and will be filing with Consumer Protection and Federal Trade Commission if they deny me.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have purchased from both in the past with no issues.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

joelm1988

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
Don't know if i confused people, but my issue is with shipping to the UK. I'm confident that MacMall and ClubMac are great sellers. I just can't find if they will ship to the United Kingdom :confused:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Don't know if i confused people, but my issue is with shipping to the UK. I'm confident that MacMall and ClubMac are great sellers. I just can't find if they will ship to the United Kingdom :confused:

I think the responses were to the OP and not your questions.
Sorry, I am not in the UK

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

joelm1988

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
I see, maybe I should've started a new thread. Just didn't want to congest the forum. Any help would still be appreciated however

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I see, maybe I should've started a new thread. Just didn't want to congest the forum. Any help would still be appreciated however

I went to the MacMall site and found this in the Customer Service > Internation Orders section:

International Orders
International orders are taken over the phone only. Please call 310-354-5600 for rates, restrictions and other special arrangements for your orders. Please note that many products' warranties do not provide coverage outside the U.S., and some products may not be exported due to manufacturers' restrictions or U.S. laws. MacMall makes no representations regarding warranty coverage, compatibility, or serviceability for products that are used outside the U.S. Orders for shipment outside the US are subject to higher shipping, handling and processing fees, applicable customs, duties and taxes, all of which are the responsibility of the customer. All international orders must be prepaid in full with U.S. funds, by a cashier's check drawn on a U.S. bank or by wire transfer.

joelm1988

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Leeds, UK
Thanks for that. I might try giving them a ring. A $200 saving is worth having, although I expect the shipping cost might cost me at least $100.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Have you added VAT to the US price? Even if you have I would imagine shipping and insurance is going to seriously eat into that £102. And you'll end up with a US keyboard, and it'll be a bitch to return if you have any issues.

As for the G-RAID, if it's the 500GB model the most you're going to get is 500GB (less in reality) — it's 500GB in RAID0 and 250GB in RAID1. Try http://www.jigsaw24.com/default.aspx?ITEM=JIGSX029AMA and http://www.jigsaw24.com/default.aspx?ITEM=JIGSX030AMA. They're UK-based and the price (for the 1TB version at least) is excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.