Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hi all,

I will soon be in possession of a 2010 21.5" iMac, and want to install a number of upgrades on it - an SSD, 8GB of RAM, and a new i5 3.6Ghz CPU. For this, I need to purchase a number of accessories from OWC such as this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DIYIMACHDD09/.

My question is - if I order from OWC to the UK, does any one know what sort of sales/customs taxes I may be liable to pay?

Thanks,

PS.

This is what OWC says in their terms and conditions:
ALL ORDERS SHIPPED OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES ARE SUBJECT TO ALL NATIONAL, FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL TAXES, DUTIES OR OTHER IMPORT FEES THE COUNTRY OF DELIVERY DEEMS LEGAL AND REQUIRED. AT THIS TIME, OWC DOES NOT COLLECT ANY OF THESE FEES DURING THE CHECKOUT PROCESS AND THE CUSTOMER IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THESE ADDITIONAL FEES ASSESSED BY THE COUNTRY OF IMPORT.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Thanks, that's not quite the kit I need. There is a seller on eBay selling from the UK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWC-Hard-...732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234951df64), but it's understandably a bit more expensive. I just thought I might be able to save money from OWC since I need to buy quite a few components, but then again if I have to pay VAT+customs then it might actually end up being cheaper to buy it here.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Almost certainly you'll have to pay VAT, which will add 20% to the price.

The post office will hold your parcel until you pay the tax - since OWC will not lie on the customs form. They're obligated to tell HMRC what's in the package with a customs declaration when sending it, which includes the value of the items inside.

The cutoff for VAT free import is pretty low (about £20 or something), so pretty much all imports are going to be subject to VAT.

AliceDK

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
I bought my parts from MacUpgrade. They're based in Belgium - very professional.

I highly doubt it's cheaper for you buying from the US when you have to take VAT, customs, shipping fees and transit times into account.

/Alice

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yep, you'll be hit for VAT (£7.24) + an £8 fee for Royal Mail handling the customs charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.