Buying from person, how spot which series?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by johannnn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Lets say you buy an Apple Watch that someone got as a present. Still in plastic wrapper.

How do I know if it's series 0, 1 or 2?
    The package doesn't seem to reveal much details at all.

2. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

I'm not sure if there's a better way, but if it's new in package, their should be a sticker somewhere on the box that has info in tiny lettering (usually has the serial number and stuff). If so, see if there is a model number (the serial number would give it away as well, but you might have to call Apple with it). I would think you could use the model number to look it up and that should give you the series.

Now I'm not positive on this, but it might work. Maybe someone else will chime in.

3. PackyP macrumors member

PackyP

Look on the back of the watch. Right at the top of the sensor.
    IMG_1251.JPG

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Even more important is to be sure it is un-paired from (or was never paired to) the original owners iPhone. If not the series of the 'brick' won't matter.:D

5. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Bottom of box states S1, S2, or 7000 Series for the Original.
    Back of watch is labeled SERIES 1, Series 2, or 7000 Series.
    For used open box ones, call Apple with serial # to check lock status! Critical, in my opinion, for some reason unlocking is not always done right...

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Also, the previous Watch Owner needs to remove their information from iCloud/Devices/Apple Watch before the transfer of ownership to avoid any other issues.

7. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Thanks for all replies. So then this is Series 0? Given the 7000 in the picture.
    Seller says its Series 1................

[​IMG]

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The 7000 series stands for the aluminum, not the model. That appears to be Series 0 or the first generation Apple Watch. If it was Series one, I believe it was stated on the side of the box. Also, that box looks like the first generation Apple Watch sport box that was used when we first launched. Since then, the Series One sport box has changed to a smaller, more compact box without the charging brick.

Ask the seller for the serial number, which Apple can confirm for you which generation the Apple Watch is, if you're still not sure.

9. chuyn macrumors 6502

That's a series 0. Series 1 and 2 both have markings on the box. For one, the aluminum models are no longer called "Sport". Second, you'll see either:

Apple Watch
    Series 1

Apple Watch
    Series 2

Then you'll see the 38mm/42mm and the rest of the specs below. Here's an example:

Attached Files:

10. greensalad macrumors regular

greensalad

Agreeing with the others: that's definitely a Series 0. The seller clearly doesn't understand there's a difference (I doubt they intend malice).

11. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Also to note the aluminum models no longer have composite backs they have ceramic AFAIK.

12. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Best way to tell is to tie it to a rock and sink it below 30ft or so. If it holds up you know which one it is.

13. chuyn macrumors 6502

To be more specific, aluminum series 1 have composite backs. Aluminum series 2 have ceramic backs.

14. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Ah. Ok I thought they both did now, thanks

15. Mouse man Suspended

Mouse man

so if its no unpaired the buyer cant ever use it?

16. Relentless Power, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

If the Watch is passcode locked, then no. If it's not passcode locked, it can be erased and reset to factory.

17. steve32417 macrumors newbie

steve32417

the different between s1 and s2 is hole aside apple watch, s1 only one hole mic, and s2 and two hole, one is mic, and another is air hole to push the water out of speaker[​IMG]

18. Julien, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If the OP could see the side of the watch then they could more easily just look on the back and read which series it is. No need to count holes, measurer depth or weight it since the series is printed on the back. However the OP is looking at a picture of a box that has already been determined to be an S0.