Buying Hardrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uMac, Mar 24, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

Okay,

For my mac pro (3 free slots), is it better to buy Seagate or Western Digital
    1 Primary Drive with System (250GB)
    1 for Media Storage (250-500GB) - Need to Buy
    1 For Time Machine Back-up (500-750GB) Need to Buy
    This leaves me with 1 Free Slot for another media drive in the future.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Why not buy just two 750 gig drives and partition one for your system and media volumes?

I'm no fan of WD - I've had two fail on me (11 months and 3 years). None of my Seagate drives (5 - two of which are 2.5") or Samsung (2 2.5") have failed.

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I want the system and media to run off two different drives, plus the system drive is only going to be OSx + Windows Partition with programs etc. The media drives will continually get bigger.

If the system's drive crashes I can still use the media drive (reinstall of operating system is easy or plug into other computer), if the media drive crashes I can restore with time machine.

Can timemachine back-up two drives into one?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, it can, but you have to have more space on your TM drive than the sum of all your other drives (or volumes).

5. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay good to know, where are the best places (prices and service) to get these drives from? I'm looking at some of the local providers and there does seem to be prices differences for the same produce.

I'm in Canada and would like to avoid the cross-boarder issues I have heard come up.