Buying Help...again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eXoBrute, Jan 14, 2009.

1. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Alright well im really frustrated right now. Even though i wont be able to get a new computer until May i still am so excited to get a mac. I have been waiting forever and PC is just getting anoying. I am always on this forums and on the apple store for some reason even though i wont even be deciding which to purchase until May which is when my 16th birthday is.

Anyways heres what im trying to decide

Im trying to decide between an iMac 20", Macbook 2.0GHz, or the older Macbook Pro 2.4GHz.

I really like the power of the iMac, The portability and the new look of the macbook, but also the portability and power of the macbook.

I'm a 15 (will be 16) year old boy, i don't travel alot but i do move around in my house a lot. I dont do that many graphic needing programs. I mainly use the computer for internet, some games (like java games), some school work, and then photoshop. My computer now can BARELY handle photoshop it is extremely slow. So which should i choose?

By May do you think the imac will change or become cheaper? Does 2.0GHz in the macbook really differ from 2.4GHz? And does the macbook pro really better then the new macbook?

I really cant decide if u can see. I dont think i want the iMac over a new Macbook or older Macbook pro UNLESS there will be a price drop or a speed update before may. I really like the Macbook design and look but i have heard its slow? And i like the speed and performance of the OLD Macbook Pro but i like the unibody better then the previous.

Also what do you think the price will be of a unibody Macbook Pro Refurbished by May?

Now i know that is a lot to answer but im really stressed for some reason (im just so excited to finally be getting a Mac).

So Please help me out.
    -Thanks SOOO Much

2. svndmvn Guest

All three could be updated by May/June. The best money could buy,ignoring the portability factor,would be in my opinion the iMac. The Macbook pro, and there will probably not be a previous generation but a current one in the refurbished store around May,as well as current Macbooks, is similar in specs to the iMac. Finally, 2.0 in real world, compared to a current 2.4 isn't that different. And a MacBook is okay for gaming as well.

3. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well i am kinda ruling out the iMac unless there is a price drop and update by may because i really want portability as i like to go sit in the family room and watch TV with my family every night. So which one after we rule out the iMac?

-New Macbook unibody 2.0 Ghz and 4GB RAM (brand new)

-Old Macbook Pro 2.4GHz no unibody. (Old Version)

OR!!

Macbook Pro unibody 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM (Refurb)
    ^^^IF they have it in the refurb store by May for under $1400

4. svndmvn Guest

I am buying a 13" Macbook, for its portability factor and I wouldn't need all the ports/better graphics the Pros have. But if you really care about the 2 extra inches, the pro is a lot of a machine for the price. I mean the new unibody. These new chassis are a lot better, feel sturdier and the machine is just harder to over-heat.

5. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh well i think i have narrowed it down to the Brand new unibody MacBook 2.0Ghz and the REFURB Unibody Macbook Pro 2.4GHz.

BUT

What do you think the price will be of a Refurbished Unibody Macbook Pro 2.4GHz by May?

6. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

If you have narrowed it down to those last two options, then really its up to what screen size you want. Sounds like to me you would want the screen real estate of 15 inch...with games and Photo Shop.

The previous MacBook pro is a awesome machine, I have it and I love it. For you, since coming from a slow PC, you wont be able to tell the difference from a 2.0 to 2.4 GHz. Maybe a person running from a macbook to pro could, but you will gain so much speed and power, its going to be substantial from PC to mac with 2.0 or 2.4 GHz. Get it?

I have no clue what the price will be of a refurbished unibody Macbook Pro, but thats possible.

Of course, if you just want a new unibody machine, like you said I think you like, and don't care about screen size, then get the new Macbook.

7. svndmvn Guest

around $1400, I'm not sure, check out the refurb store for the old ones, I have also read on this forum there have already been current generations there as well.

8. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks guys, yeah i am most likely going to get the macbook because i just cant get over the new unibody aluminum design. So unless the New Unibody MacBook Pro is in the refurb store and under $1400 by May then im going for the Macbook