Buying Help (simple older Mac to switch to)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nerdylicious05, Feb 22, 2008.

1. nerdylicious05 macrumors newbie

I am currently a PC user, with little mac experience. But i am looking to get a small mac to have as my portable computer. I dont really have a lot to spend so i have been looking on eBay. I am looking into the iBook G3 or iBook G4. The G3 are cheaper for obvious reasons. If anyone has any advice on if that is a good idea or not, or another option for me, please let me know. Thanks :D

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

While G3s are perfectly ok, you'll probably be much happier with a G4. I have a 12 PB 1.5 ghz G4 and it does just fine. It's actually not that much slower than my new Mac Mini.

I gave my old G3 iMac to my nephew who is still using it and it's ok for email and the internet, but it can be pretty slow at times.

3. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I have 900 MHZ G3 iBook that I still use everyday for word processing, email, internet and that sort of thing.. It works great.. The G3 iBooks (maybe iBooks in general, not sure) get GREAT wireless reception.. I have it maxed out with 756 MB Ram and it runs Tiger very well.. It may have been better to keep it on Panther, but it's comparable- the main thing is I don't think you want to mess around with Leopard if you go this route.. I could be wrong on that, and I'm sure there's plenty of people that have it installed and running fine, personally,I wouldn't do it..

Now the downside with the G3 iBooks.. The dreaded faulty logic board situation.. I'm sure you heard about the logic board repair extension program that Apple had for them, and the problems they were notorious for.. Unfortunately, that issue was not exaggerated at all.. Mine is on it's 4th LB.. It runs great for long stretches, and then it just dies..This really wasn't a problem up until now because all I had to do was take it to Apple, drop it off and in a couple days I had it back good as new.. Well, the repair program is over now, so if it happens again that pretty much means the end of that computers life.. Not trying to scare you away, just giving you my honest opinion of the G3 iBooks after 5 or 6 years of ownership..For me it's not really my main computer, so I live with it.. If I was planning on using this as my main computer I might feel different..

If you go that route there are pro's & cons.. You can get them cheap, and you can get a good one that will still perform decently for what you'll pay- but there's always that logic board issue looming over them..

Good luck with your selection- hope you find a good one.. There are some values out there- just gotta do a little legwork and get a little lucky..

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The G4 iBooks would run Tiger pretty well. They are way behind the MacBooks performance wise, but that may not be an issue if all you are going to do is surf the web and e-mail. Just don't be surprised when it is slow to rip DVD's, or run full screen video.

Max out the memory and get a G4 with at least 1.0Ghz, and you would be set for a while...

iBook G4's should be about half the price ($500?) of the Macbooks ($1,000)...

5. nerdylicious05 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for your help! It looks like ill be going with the G4. I really like the macbook (my friend has one) however, being a college students, its out of my price range. Thanks again everyone!

6. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I had an iBook G4 last year and it was a great machine. Plenty fast for web browsing, email, iTunes, and even some iPhoto. Mine was a 1GHz G4 w/ 512MB RAM. They are selling the same machines on the 'net for $400, while I paid $550 last year. I really regret selling that machine, but I say go for it.