Buying help

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
258
80
so... I have the opportunity to buy a 27'' 2017 iMac with a substantial discount now. But, since I'm not home for the next few months, it will be inside its box until I get home. That will be around May next year.

As you can understand, it would be very annoying if a new refresh of the iMac would come in like June or so...

So what you guys think? Do I buy now and take the risk? Or wait until I go back and see if there is a refresh and buy then? Do you think we will have a refresh so soon?
 

alien3dx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2017
814
175
so... I have the opportunity to buy a 27'' 2017 iMac with a substantial discount now. But, since I'm not home for the next few months, it will be inside its box until I get home. That will be around May next year.

As you can understand, it would be very annoying if a new refresh of the iMac would come in like June or so...

So what you guys think? Do I buy now and take the risk? Or wait until I go back and see if there is a refresh and buy then? Do you think we will have a refresh so soon?
don't buy.. wait..
 

Smellmet

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2012
179
53
Goole, UK
Depends on what you're using it for. I've just ordered one for work that will really suit my needs. Like you said if it's a significant discount then it may be worth it. What's the spec/price of the machine?
 

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
258
80
Depends on what you're using it for. I've just ordered one for work that will really suit my needs. Like you said if it's a significant discount then it may be worth it. What's the spec/price of the machine?

Thank you.

It would be the 3.8ghz CPU with 8gb ram, 2tb fusion and the 8gb GPU. I would upgrade the ram later.


I would get around 240€ of discount if I buy it until the 7th November.

What I'm thinking is that even if it gets a speed bump, unless it's a complete redesign the speed different shouldn't be that huge, and maybe it's justified by the 240€.

Also I also would be annoyed if I wait and we get to the end of the 2018 summer without updates.

Apple should release a 2 years plan so we could decide.
 

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
17,194
5,543
There's no point in buying "today's iMac" if it's not going to be used until May of next year. What if it sits in the box that long, and you open it, and find.... that something's wrong with it?

Next year I sense that there will be -substantial- improvements to the iMac's ability to play back 4k videos.

Wait... and buy then...
 

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
953
1,049
I think you should wait. If you buy it now you lose the 14 days in case you want to bring it back and ~7 months out of 12 of warranty.

Even if there is just a small speed bump to the iMac that would mean you would be able to buy the 2017 with a good discount, maybe even better than what you can get now.

Also, if the iMac isn't refreshed next year, we can still expect changes to the other Macs which might be more appealing to you.