Buying i5 + SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, Apr 2, 2011.

1. gngan, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I currently have a late 2007 C2D MB (It's a great machine!). I've been searching and reading and decided to buy an i5 + SSD rather than i7 stock. I am a new to SSD. Can someone explain a few things to me?

Is the new MBP using SATA II or SATA III (ie for SSD)?

Is there a compatible SSD compatible list? I read many problems with SSD (beach ball, sleep mode, waking up, etc). I am definitely going with aftermarket because it's cheaper and i can use the HDD that came with my MBP as external HDD.

I read somewhere about the performance of different SSD. Is there a list where shows which one is faster?

Is there different size (thickness) for SSD? Like a 2.5'' and 3.5'' HDD. If yes then which one should my MBP use? I remember seeing something like 25nm for 2.5'' SSD.

2. Tonepoet, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

I can't answer all these questions myself but at the very least, I know the HDD uses a SATA III connection across all 2011 models. Checked at the apple store before I bought my current 17" and the profiler reads a potential 6.0Gbps connection.

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Your MBP will use a 2.5" drive. Here's a good place to start: www.anandtech.com. Do some searching in their benchmarks section. They do some great reviews as well.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

So far there is no 100% compatible SATA III SSD.

5. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

The few early adopters of the Vertex 3 on this forum seem to be having good luck. Keep your fingers crossed that it continues!