Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blitz259

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Has anyone bought 1 yet in japan? wana know whats the power supply rating (i.e. 110v, 220v,) etc coz it comes with a 2 pin plug with an attached earth wire?

guzmansg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
Are you stationed there? I believe the only hardware difference in the Japanese and US version would be the keyboard. It might come installed with the Japanese language on the OS but it should still be the same as far as the power requirements go.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Apple uses universal power supplies in their products. So all Macs will work with 100 to 240 Volts and from 50 to 60 Hz.

Power is not an issue. You can purchase a Mac and use it anywhere in the world. All you need is the appropriate plug for the country that you are located in.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I am in Japan as well and decided due to current yen rate, and still having to wait to get the quad 27' that i was just going to order it.

to answer your question though, you CAN buy one here with NO problems as all. The plugs are the same, the power is universal, and the english language is programmed in you just have to change it in preferences.

Hope that helped. IMO you should just order one. If you are military, check out a company called "APO Box" not only do they deliver to us out here, but you also get a apple discount through them (google apo box apple store).

anyways hope that all helps ya!

blitz259

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks guys..called apple care in japan earlier this morning and confirmed...works on auto-switching 100-240v..but dont know y they supply a two pin with an earth cable attached, better juz to put a 3 pin..juz my two cents...
Down to softmap's mac collection in akihabara later to get my imac:)

Katyusha

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks guys..called apple care in japan earlier this morning and confirmed...works on auto-switching 100-240v..but dont know y they supply a two pin with an earth cable attached, better juz to put a 3 pin..juz my two cents...

OH...I am going to buy the 27 inch iMac at Yodobashi Kamera Akiba later.

But the staff there told me that the iMac is too heavy to be taken home by myself, so I must apply a delivery service

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach

It is 2 pin with the cable. I haven't had any issues with it though. Got my 24" from there, and I use it in the states now.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
OH...I am going to buy the 27 inch iMac at Yodobashi Kamera Akiba later.

But the staff there told me that the iMac is too heavy to be taken home by myself, so I must apply a delivery service

that don't have the i7 27' do they? also "to heavy"? they are shipping them, so how can they be to heavy to take home yourself?

Katyusha

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
that don't have the i7 27' do they? also "to heavy"? they are shipping them, so how can they be to heavy to take home yourself?

No they don't.

I said to the staff there that I want to take the new iMac home by train.

They replied "No, that's impossible! You don't know how heavy it is!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.