Buying iMac for Graphic Designing

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by gdub, Apr 5, 2007.

1. gdub macrumors newbie

Hello to all! I'm a Graphic Designer and have been one for the past 6 years. It has been a total of 7-8 years that I haven't used a Mac. My first 3 years at my previous job was a PC and now my current job is also a PC. Now, I would like to purchase an iMac to practice at home and also to get better at it for my next job. I know a good 95% or more use Mac for there everyday printing projects. So, here is where I'll need some help from you guys. I've read up about the new CS3 coming and think it'll be awesome for me to work on and would like to purchase it (any cheap offers). I do want to purchase the 20" iMac but really don't know how much RAM,GB and etc.. I'll need. I've been hearing the rumour about the iMac going into a new hardware/software design and I'm kind of reluctant on buying one right now or just wait. My budget is $1,700.00. I've also kind of heard that refurbish iMac's are pretty good too, any luck with those? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I would wait a little bit until leopard then buy.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You may want to hold off on this until the end of the month when people start getting their hands on the final CS3. Published requirements can always be a little iffy, and it will be useful to find out what the resource demands turn out to be for real users with real shipping versions.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You might want to wait abit for leopard (next os) to come out, it's coming "spring". If you want the 20" iMac, do get a 2gig RAM because it'll run faster. You need to think about the price of CS3 as it's pretty expensive depending on what you need, PS is $650 and AI is $600 plus other programs.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Even if you limit yourself to CS3 Design Standard, unless you have a previous version of CS or unless you're a student, you're going to have to pay the full price of $1,199.95. :eek:

As for the iMac, I don't know when updates might be coming (possibly late spring around the same time as Leopard), although I don't think we'll see a significant case redesign this year. Get as much RAM as possible, or at least 2GB.