Buying iMac for my Parents - Need Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Azeroth1, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Azeroth1 macrumors newbie

I am buying a new iMac for my parents. They use a computer...like parents in their 60s would use a computer. Basically internet browsing, a few digital pictures in there but not really concerned about storage. Their current machine which is dying is a 2007 iMac.

I am tempted by the new models but I don't think they need the power and I would like to keep costs down.

Suggestions on an option? If I were to try eBay, suggestions in previous gen model/specs.

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Really any recent iMac will work fine for them... the only thing I strongly recommend is that it have an SSD.

After that, retina screens are really super nice and easier on old eyes.

Would they like a laptop? Pretty much everyone I know likes having a laptop these days, especially if it's their only computer.

Also, check out the Apple refurbished store.

p.s. - I understand what you mean about "parents in their 60s", but I'd like to remind folks that there are a lot of 60 year olds who use computers for all sorts of things. Both my parents are well past 60 and both use their Macs for several hours a day, including photography, video editing, writing books, skyping, etc. (they don't know what they're doing half the time, but that doesn't stop them ;)) And of course Steve Wozniak is in his mid-60's and Jobs would have just turned 60 if he was still here.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

4. Azeroth1 thread starter macrumors newbie

H
    Hehe, point taken on the 60s reference.

This is actually a second computer - they also have an old 2010 MacBook Air. This is more for use in the living room.

Will check out refurbs for sure, definitely want to keep costs down since their requirements are low from a hardware perspective.

5. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I second the refurb store. The nice thing about the refurb is that you can still add AppleCare to the machines just like a new one. Part of keeping costs down is controlling maintenance costs, so sometimes spending a few bucks on that refurb with AppleCare is a better bet than buying something used and on its last legs...