Buying iMac - how can I tell it's a late 2013 model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gattaz, Nov 23, 2013.

1. gattaz macrumors newbie

Hello all,

All year long I have been eyeing up the 27inch Imac (the more expensive). I have just returned from a deployment and have decided that the time is right to get it. I plan on buying the Imac on base so I get it tax free. The issue I am having is I am not sure if it a newer model, or an older one (like early 2013 vs late 2013) is there a way for me to tell by looking at the box?

I was under the impression that the early 2013 did not have Haswell, which is what I want. (Or am I wrong here?) I asked a store employee but they did not know.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. L T macrumors 6502

L T

By early 2013 I presume you mean late 2012? This machine did not have Haswell.

The only iMac to have Haswell chips is the one released at the back end of this year.

I have a Haswell MacBook Air and have just looked at the box to see if it had the word Haswell anywhere on it. It didn't.

I don't know if there could be any external changes like microphone placement or anything for you to identify the new one with.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

They put the model number on Apple labels (ex A1419). You could go by that.

Edit: Just looked and apparently that model number is shared. Alternately what you could do is enter the serial number onto Apple's warranty checker. It will tell you the model on there. HERE is the link.

4. gattaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I checked the serial number on that site and it said it was a late 2013 model. Needless to say I am currently unboxing it as we speak!!