Buying iMac...moving to Cali...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sam2428, Sep 13, 2011.

1. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

This may be a really stupid question, but I'm a little confused about what to do. After a lot of debate and thinking I finally decided to buy a 2010 27" iMac new from MacMall. The kicker is that I am relocating to California next month (from Texas) and am not sure if i should:

a. Order now and have the moving company move it with the rest of my stuff

b. Order now and have a friend/relative ship it over

c. Just wait and order once I have moved

I guess the obvious would be have the moving company do it (since it would be insured) and they are supposedly "professional movers", but I guess I am just weary of having it shipped to me and then moved by someone else. I also dont want to pay the tax in Cali for it (haha). I would take it myself, but I'll by flying not driving there.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

just do the math, Cali tax is 10% where I am at. if it was a few bucks difference (having it safely delivered as apposed to purchasing it in California) I would just purchase it in California, since it would come in one piece and give you some piece of mind, rather than risking it through travel. remember apple does not cover physical damage.

3. dqpassat macrumors regular

One thing to consider is that this 2010 iMac may no longer be in stock in a month from now. I'm guessing if it's a 2010 model then it must be in clearance and limited stock.

I would buy now and save tax and then just ship with the rest of your belongings.

4. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

Where in CA are you relocating to? I usually buy my Macs from MacMall, but I go to their retail store in Santa Monica to do it instead of online. The sales staff tends to be willing to wheel and deal when talking with them face to face.

5. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice, I didnt know they had a retail store. I will be moving to LA...so I could easily drive there.

And yes, their site online says they are still in stock currently.

----------

Yea, this is the way I am leaning for now. The moving company insures my belongings if anything were to happen during shipping as well.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I would order now as you said the movers are fully insured. I would because
    a) you can enjoy it for a while
    b) you have nothing to worry about it
    c) they could go out of stock
    d) Cali has higher (but still lower than TO) tax

hope I helped

7. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, I think I will pull the trigger within the next couple of days.

The only things that worries me now is the lack of TB port in the 2010 iMac. Although I dont really need it anytime soon....