Buying iMac...Selling MBP before it arrives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hukuma, Aug 15, 2008.

1. hukuma macrumors newbie

OK...so, I'm parting with my MBP on Sunday. New iMac won't be here in time to do a simple transfer of files (connect via firewire, like I did when I bought the MBP)...I think it was called Target disc mode, or something like that.
    So, I need to get all of my files off the MBP, and onto a external hard drive. What's the best way to do this...btw, I'm still running Tiger, although I have a copy of Leopard I could install if that will make it much easier.

Then...on the MBP...I'm selling it to a family member. I want to leave my iPhoto files on the MBP (although it's not necessary), but remove all of my iTunes library. What's the best way to go about this. Or, am I better off just doing a fresh install of the OS?

Last question...I want the family member to have their own log-in password, etc. Is that an option when I do the fresh install? Family member is not computer literate, so I was going to do the set up myself.

Thanks for any advice! I'm sure there is more than one way to get the job done, but I'm looking for the cleanest/simplest approach.

2. Captain Pyro macrumors member

You can set up user accounts under OsX, yes. I don't think you actually need to do them at install time, but it's obviously the neatest time for it.

As to the data transfer, I'd just hook up the external drive and drag and drop what I needed, being careful ot file it in such a way that I could easily put it back somewhere sensible later. You'll probably have to do a bit more hunting around this way to be sure you've caught it all, but it's still gonna be quicker than burning discs!

Happy new shiny!

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Boot using your optical disk, open disk utility, restore drive to an empty external drive (remember to do GUID partition map. search for more info).

Boot using external drive to make sure things have copied.

--------------
    Once backup is good, move the stuff you want them to have into your public folder.

Create an admin login for them.

Copy the stuff you want them to have to their user.

Delete your account.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. Simple, free (donation-ware), and foolproof fully bootable duplicate copy of your MBP's HD. Then attach it to the new iMac when it arrives, boot from it and restore.

SuperDuper
    is also excellent. I've used both with great results.