Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soapy14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
I need advice from someone who knows what they are talking about on buying a Imac. Will they update them in the september expo, or later? Also should I wait until the intels come out? What benifits do the intels have, and will games that are only on PC's come out for Macs once they use intels?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
soapy14 said:
I need advice from someone who knows what they are talking about on buying a Imac. Will they update them in the september expo, or later? Also should I wait until the intels come out? What benifits do the intels have, and will games that are only on PC's come out for Macs once they use intels?

No one will be able to get you a definitive answer for any of these questions because nobody knows when the intel Macs will come out and what the specs will be.

The standard advice here is: If you need a Mac now buy it, if you can wait then do so.

PS: it is iMac not Imac (just warning you before people flame you)

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
My guess is that the iMacs won't be updated in September but rather sometime around March of next year. They may or may not be Intel based - your guess is as good as mine at this point.

As for more games coming to the Mac because of the Intel switch, nobody knows. Some may argue that there will be more games coming because the process to port the game will be easier and some may argue that it is still entirely up to the developer whether or not it's worth their resources to port to a platform with only 3% market share.

Sorry for being very indirect with my answers, but the answers to these questions are only known by Steve Jobs and the CEOs of certain game companies.

As always, if you are interested in buying an iMac, there is no reason to hesitate. The PPC platform will be supported for years to come and the current lineup of iMacs is very impressive.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I would not hesitate to purchase one of the current iMac G5's- they are very amazing computers. I doubt that they will be updated at the upcoming expo- but you can never be 100% sure (unless maybe you are Steve Jobs).

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
By the look on the buyersguide it looksl like there is still 100+ days untill the average update and the updates are slowing so i say go for it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.