Buying in Hong Kong...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dead goon, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dead goon macrumors member

To put it simply, MBP here in Australia = $3100

same one in Hong Kong = $2500

Has anyone purchased a MBP from HK before, and if so, is the 1 year warranty valid in Australia/where ever you live?

Thats a substantial saving right there.

Threads probably been done before, I know.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple's warranties are worldwide, but you would need a rec't from a legit dealer, of course. Also Apple Australia might not have the parts for a HK model. In that case I believe they have to ship your computer back to HK for service. Many times there are country specific part#s for certain parts due to local regulations.

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Apple warranties are worldwide, no problem regarding that. I bought my mbp last year in the US, and I just had a battery problem while in Hong Kong, the HK authorized repair service replaced my battery in 3 days(they had no stock, had it shipped from Singapore). I'd definitely recommend buying from HK if it is that much cheaper, let me know if you need any help.

4. aaronacw macrumors newbie

Buy in HK, there are no problems with parts and the warranty from Apple is worldwide. I know, I bought my MBP in HK in Nov 2007, and I have been able to claim a replacement computer from Apple Singapore.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

How does the MBP get from HK to Australia ? Carrier, posted, smuggled ???

There is the small matter of Import Duty and Sales Tax which will probably add up to the "savings" !!

6. watergun macrumors regular

caveat emptor: there is no refund policy if you buy from physical shop in hk and you can only get a replacement after apple authorized service provider validates your claim.

7. dead goon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

Logana: The reason I bring this up, is because I might be traveling through HK in September. So I hope that I could maybe pick one up in duty free. Or, If I have to, stay a night there and pick one up in a store.

8. watergun macrumors regular

Psst, just for your eyes only, although the official stance for apple products is No Discount (I was told that the store can lose their retailership if they are found giving discount), some shops do offer 3-4% discount depending how well you know the salesman.

9. hajime macrumors 68030

Almost all physical stores in HK do not have a refund policy. A lot of sales even give you sh*t if you ask for an exhange. I personally do not like to shop in HK even it is called a shopping paradise. The last time I checked the HK Apple online store, they did have a refund policy though.