Buying in Japan, which one is best plese?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karolina_lina, Apr 22, 2017.

1. karolina_lina macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm in Japan and want to buy a new Macbook - it is generally cheaper than in UK and you can save another 8% by buying tax free.

The tax can only be deducted for products bought at the store - so no upgrades available... I'm just wondering what option to go for.

I am a graphic designer, don't work with too heavy files but would like my laptop to be more futureproof and last for a little while... My main concern is RAM - currently use 8gb and it is ok.

Price-wise I have those two options:

Touch Bar and Touch ID
    2.9GHz Processor
    256GB Storage

• 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    • 8GB 2133MHz memory
    • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
    • Intel Iris Graphics 550
    • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID
    Which works out to be a sweet deal when you buy in store (with international keyboard) for roughly £1280

Or losing the tax free shopping and upgrading the RAM (shoud I pgrade the processor too then?)

2.0GHz Processor
    256GB Storage

• 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    • 16GB 1,866MHz
    • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
    • Intel Iris Graphics 540
    • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

This works out to be roughly £1305 unless I upgrade the processor too(£1500)

Please let me know your thoughts - I'm quite tempted to save money but would like to make sre I dont regret it in the longer run...

MANY THANKS!

Karolina

2. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Funny, everyone wants to be "future proof". Really the only way to be future proof to the most is to buy the max out in whatever product you are buying. For graphic design from my experience either would probably be fine. The more always is the better to last longer. Japan's prices have always been higher than other places, but lower than the U.K.. I purchased a Mac Pro 2013 in Japan and paid a grip more than the U.S. No choice, due to working in Japan.

"If" you can afford the more expensive, run with that. The mac world is different from the PC world as far as quality vs. price. Yes, macs are more cost for product, but it is what it is. Purchase what you can afford and be happy with it. Tomorrow after you bought it, something better will be available that is better. I believe now a-days it is hard to find the "sweet" spot anymore when buying apple because their marketing group has figured out how to sway people to buy. I think the last sweet spot (and probably the last) was the Mac mini 2012 quad core for the price at the time. Maybe some of the old MacBooks around 2013-15. Again, for the time it was good, but now, any new stuff you just have to buy what you can afford and call it a day. My opinion of course.

3. karolina_lina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks loby, that's all actually very true!

I just wonder in terms of specs what makes more difference - is it the processor or the ram?

Thanks again I appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Before you buy,check language support and current rating for the power supply. Not a big deal,but if you will use it in Europe, the power supply must be rated 240V AC current.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Depends what you use the computer for, look up the applications you use and work out wether RAM is going to limit them or core count. Work out your usual workflow and see how your current RAM holds up.

There is no such thing as future proofing, the only way to do that is to buy the latest thing whenever it comes out and sell what you already have, so a new MBP every year this will probably cost around £4-500 per year in losses etc.

As for your 2 options they will perform similarly so buy whichever you wish the 2.9 touchbar will give you better performance and but less battery life.