Buying in NYC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mistraldk, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mistraldk macrumors member

Hello all!

Since I am looking to upgrade from my unibody macbook to a new 15" macbook pro soon (specifically, when I visit NYC in a few weeks time) I am looking for an answer to the following question:
    I would like to buy the 2.2, and upgrade to the high res screen. Do they have these in stock at the apple store? And if not, will they be able to get me one in just a few days time? Furthermore, I have been trying to get in touch with Apple US to ask a few more questions but other than a phone number I can't find any way (the Chat seems unavailable and I can't find an emailaddress anywhere?)

Thanks for any answers!

(btw, i'm from Holland)

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Note the sales tax in Manhattan is 8.875%. Just FYI.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Oh, and call the SoHo store:

103 Prince Street New York City, NY 10012 (212) 226-3126

4. mistraldk thread starter macrumors member

Also for foreigners? any other way to get my hands on one? (or get the tax back?)

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I'm not sure you can buy CTO in Apple retail stores. The stock options are all that will be available. Call the store and ask if they have the model with these specific features you're looking for.

@getz76
    8.875% tax is not just in Manhattan, it is standard across all boroughs. I bought lunch in Brooklyn the other day, and they charged me tax for that :mad:
    Tourists beware :p

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The US system is unlike the VAT system in Europe; no way to get that back. It is a point-of-sale tax. See some details here.

7. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Look on the bright side, at least it's NY and not Philly; Philly has a 7% sales tax and it's a much crappier town (from a Philly native).

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Really? lol I've got a few relatives and friends living in Philadelphia and they [relatively] like it.
    I have been living in New York for over 8 years (ever since my family immigrated to USA) and thus far have loved it. Lots of energy, lots of different cultures. Living here is a little expensive though ;)

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The OP could drive down to Delaware. No sales tax.

Agreed. I used to have to spend time in Philly for work. Old City is quaint, but everything else is awful in my opinion.

There is a great little recording studio in that town though; Turtle Studios.

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Yeah, I spent the first 30 years of my life in Philly and I didn't mind it but now I live about 45 minutes outside the city and would rather spend a day or 2 in NYC than Philly. So much more to do/see and, overall, NYC is much cleaner and friendlier. A shame for Philly, really. (But you still can't get a decent cheesesteak in NYC :D).

11. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I'll pass that link on to my son, he's a pretty decent guitar player...

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You have to go to NJ; Piccolo's.

13. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Got that right :D

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I agree in calling the apple store about what they have in stock. I know the 5th avenue store in NYC does has anti-glare and widescreen > not sure about the high-resolution screens though.

The only custom configuration they do at the 5th avenue store is memory upgrades.

> as far as the online chat, I'd avoid it and just call the NYC closest to where you will be.

HOpe you get what you want and enjoy your visit :)

15. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I think I win, I bought my MBP with 9.75% sales tax. So I'm schooling all of you!

Oh wait... :(

16. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

In Canada, Ontario we're paying 13% taxes, called HST which is means "Harmonized Sales Tax", ahahahhaah, Harmonized! :D and here is no way to escape it. Also we paying extra 13% if we buying stuff from online to Canada, this called - "Customs Brokers Fees" which is around 13% again :D

We're overpaying for everything!
    But, Canada is the best country to leave, you just need to come once and you'll become addicted! :rolleyes:

17. mistraldk thread starter macrumors member

And since I'll be leaving for NYC shortly two more questions:
    - Any advice on where to buy in NYC?
    - Will I be able to get the benefits of the education programme? (since I am a university student..)

Thanks!

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Might take you a while, but take a train down from NY to Delaware - no sales tax there ;) - train tickets are fairly cheap, depends on if you want even more of a bargain.

I have a friend that lives in Maryland, about 20 miles over the state border, and I went to the Apple store at the Christiana Mall and got a 13" MBP (2009 model - 2.26GHz Unibody) for £739ish

pac

19. mistraldk thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, don't think I will try that. Bit too far away!

20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want hi-res screens, both Apple 5th Avenue and Apple Upper West side carry the hi-res anti-glare screen, so you'll have to be ok with the anti glare option, too. I'm not sure if they have the hi-res glossy screen.

Education discount, sure, if you have your student ID with you.

21. mistraldk thread starter macrumors member

That would be excellent :)

About the anti-glare, I wouldn't know..haven't seen them side by side.
    (and I understood they only have the 2.3ghz version available in store...wasn't really planning on spending 250 bucks for that little extra performance)

22. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Technically, you'll have to pay +225 for the 2.3 CPU and +135 for the high-res anti glare since you're using an education discount ... it comes to 2,359 before taxes.

23. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

5th Ave. I love it. If it doesn't have what you need your just having a very unlucky day.