Buying in one state and pickup in another

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by praetorx, Nov 18, 2011.

1. praetorx macrumors regular

I'm leaving my state for the thanksgiving week and plan on getting the mbp from a San Francisco apple store. My question is, will I dodge the sales tax if I buy it online ( I'm a Oregon resident and we don't pay sales tax) but have it delivered to a store in California?

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

You should just buy it from Oregon. Maybe you can buy one and bring it down to Ca. :D

In any case if you've already paid in your state then when you pick it up it would already have been paid for.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Not sure about this. If your billing address is in Oregon, it might work. I would call apple before ordering to make sure it works this way.

4. praetorx thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking that since my billing address is in Oregon I could do this but I don't know if they'll deliver in a different state. I just don't want to wait until my return home nor do I want to get one straight from an apple store because I want to customize it first :)

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Picking it up? You'll pay tax on it.

Only way there's no tax is if it's shipped, and the company you purchase it from has no physical presence (store or business location) in your state.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A former Arts Teacher of mine took a trip to Portland from the Seattle/Everett area and during that trip he purchased a Powermac Cube. I forget if that was the main purpose of the trip or not but he did avoid the sales tax. I've thought about it myself but the price of gas now a days and the pollution I would be releasing makes me think twice. I could always buy a bus ticket or something. Actually, with todays better fuel efficiency and pollution controls in cars it might still work. Who knows.

If I am not mistaken you are taxed by where your billing address location is but you can have it shipped to a different address. You want it shipped to an Apple Store? Well, that might present a problem. Or it might not. As already suggested call Apple on that one.