Buying in Person with Cash

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cayley, Apr 4, 2007.

1. cayley macrumors member

I'm considering buying a macbook through Craigslist. I'm just a little concerned with carrying a wad of cash to meet a stranger. Would you request to meet in a public place? Any other thoughts/comments?

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

At a police station, maybe.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

When ever I get something off of craigslist or another similar site. I always have the people met me at a coffee shop thats right by my place. I do this whether I am buying or selling. It works nice. It's close, ease to find, and I know everyone that works there as well as most of the regulars (Yes, I DO drink too much coffee) at make me feel safer meeting someone I do not know.

5. cayley thread starter macrumors member

Craigslist stuff is very local. It's typically local pick-up, pay in cash. I've bought things before without any problems. It's just with a macbook, carrying 800-1000 makes me a little uncomfortable.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Do it at around midnight, preferably in a badly lit alley, or unlit park. Or have him come over to your house at night.

Yeah...common sense, no? Meet the guy halfway somewhere public.

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

well i brought $2700 into the apple store in cash...

8. cayley thread starter macrumors member

Hehe. Next time I buy something expensive at store, I'm gonna pay with a bunch of $1 bills. That should be fun :)

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't think the cashier is going to mug you and take all your money in the store.

10. cayley thread starter macrumors member

I see an episode of American's Stupidest Criminals here. This show still in existence?

11. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I sold my PowerBook through Craigslist. I met the buyer at a local Barnes & Noble where he had an opportunity to boot it up and use it in a wi-fi environment.

Worked for me, and should work for you too.

Hickman

12. cayley thread starter macrumors member

Barnes & Noble or Star Bucks it is, if he takes me up on my offer. Thanks for the feedback all. :)